New
Find
Notify
Tools

6.5 Grendel vs. 6.8 Rem SPC
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I am thinking about purchasing a semi-auto in one of these two calibers. It will be used for targets, fun and maybe a little MN Whitetail hunting.
The ballistics are very close, which one do you think would be the better choice and why.

Thanks

Posts: 1205 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 07 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty Marlin
posted Hide Post
I'd go with the Grendel. You get better BC and better SD with the 6.5 over the 6.8 in the same weight range bullets as the two cartridges were designed around. (100-120 grain bullets)

Rusty's Action Works
Montross VA.
Action work for Cowboy Shooters &
Manufacturer of Stylized Rigby rifle sights. http://i61.photobucket.com/alb.../th_isofrontleft.jpg

Posts: 863 | Location: Northern Neck Va | Registered: 14 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I too am going to get an upper. I've decided to get it in 6.5 Grendel. The reason is I like the 6.5 caliber and the 6.5 Grendel flat out beats the 6.8 Rem. The only reason the 6.8 Rem is more noticeable is because the big name of Remington is behind it and pushing it. If you read this forum alot you'll know that the 6.5 calibers are very good ones, look how the 6.5 Swede is admired alot. There's a reason for that. The only negatives I can think of against the 6.5 Grendel is for one it's harder to come by, it's a tad more expensive, and the brass is a hair more expensive. Lapua marks both the ammo and brass for it. I know Redding and Lee have dies for it. The 6.8 might start out with more muzzle energy, but it doesn't take very manay yards for the 6.5 Grendel to beat it. The 6.5 Grendel is right up there with the 308 at 1000 yards. The troops over there are using both of these rounds and a whole bunch more that we'd be surprised to know about. The 6.5 Grendels come with Lothar barrel too and in match configuration if you go that route. I've been going over this for over a year and I just about ready to order my 6.5. I've made up my mine.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Go with the 6.5 Grendel!! Superior round, both in ballistics, and components.

When considering, you will probably get 15-20 000 rounds down a barrel, it does not make sense "saving" $$ on buying the inferior round!

Posts: 615 | Location: a cold place | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of f224
posted Hide Post
I built a "truck gun" in 6.8SPC, other than the fact that I had an extra Ruger 77 AllWeather in 223Rem as a starting point, I could just as easily chosen the 6.5 Grendel. You won't go wrong with either one for your intended purpose.

BTW, I have two 6.5x55 Blaser based rifles, it is a great cartridge.

Captain Dave Funk
Operator
www.BlaserPro.com

Posts: 841 | Location: Dallas, Iowa, USA | Registered: 05 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think they are both good, similar performing rounds. I am partial to the 6.5s because of the sd. Does a 6.5 grendel fit into the ar platform with a 110-120g bullet ok?

What about a 6.5/.250 Savage? Wouldn't that be a similar performing round that would fit the bolt face of a short action bolt rifle from Ruger, Remington, or Savage? I am thinking about rebarreling my Rem M7 to this wildcat. Plateau Hunter

Posts: 171 | Location: Cannon Co., TN | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The 6.5 Grendel handles the 120, 123, and 129 subperbly. Will work with bullets up to 140 gr.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Plateau Hunter, the 6.5 Grendel was designed to work in the .223 AR platform to increase its lethality and range without changing too much.

www.65grendel.com

Most of the handloads listed on the above website keep the cartridge OAL within AR mag length specs. Some listed are longer, but I think those are for match rifles, or for single loading on the AR platform.

My 6.5 Grendel is a CZ527 that was 7.62x39, but now has a 19" LW barrel and wears a Burris 2x-7x Compact in CZ rings.

Posts: 454 | Location: Califon, NJ USA | Registered: 18 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
JohnnyReb, That sounds like a nice rifle. I was thinking the CZ 527 in 7.62x39 would be the ideal donor for the .30 Rem based rounds. I would think the 6.5 Grendel would be about ideal for 90% of deer taken in the East especially. Of course there are the beanfielders that make up the other 10%.

Because of bolt face and possible feeding issues I was thinking the 6.5/.250 Savage would be a nice round in the M7 Remington. Looking at the Savage case and a 129g interlock it looks like the bullet could be seated to the base of the neck and still be under or right at 2.8", the standard max length for the .308 based mag boxes. Of course the drawbacks would be the costs of the reamer and custom dies. I wonder if anyone is shooting a 6.5/.250? I would be surprised if someone out there has not tried this wildcat. I believe the 6mm International was on the .250 case. Anyway it is food for thought for a future project. Some one has to help keep the gunsmiths in business!! Plateau Hunter

Posts: 171 | Location: Cannon Co., TN | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Plateau hunter

How about a 6.5 WSSM in the tiny M70 it was designed for or an A-bolt? would get more velocity and if you bought the coyote(their varmint rifle) in 25 wssm it could be re-bored, and thats it! Much easier route to go and the round should be right on with the venerable 6.5X55 or a little better, just a thought........

Posts: 498 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: 22 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
from verything I have read- grendel all the way- but Im a 6.5 nut so thats an easy choice for me.

later
p

Posts: 66 | Location: Melbourne, Vic Australia | Registered: 02 May 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I recently bought a CZ 527 in 7.62X39 for the specific pupose of building a Grendel on it. Pre-chambered threaded barrels are available for it from LW in 3 different contours. It will make the perfect light deer rifle for my daughter when she comes of age 10 years from now. Of course I'll probably have it broken in for her at that point, but I definitely lean towards the Grendel myself.

Shoot straight, shoot often.
Matt

Posts: 1183 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 19 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Brockman's Rifles put my CZ together. Along with the rebarrel, they slicked up the action and set the trigger at 2.5 pounds.

Posts: 454 | Location: Califon, NJ USA | Registered: 18 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 6.5BR
posted Hide Post
BTW, if anyone is interested, I have a Model 7 Remington, custom barreled in 7BR that feeds all 5 slick as glass through the magazine. It shoots very well and clocks 120's at 2878 in its 21" barrel.

Posts: 2898 | Registered: 25 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A local gunsmith once showed me one of his own personal " fun rifles" for shooting coyotes...

It was a Ruger Mini 14, converted and chambered with two barrels that he could switch on it..

one was chambered in a 6 BR and the other in 6.5 BR.....

now that I could get excited about.... dancing

cheers
seafire
cheers

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by seafire/B17G:
A local gunsmith once showed me one of his own personal " fun rifles" for shooting coyotes...

It was a Ruger Mini 14, converted and chambered with two barrels that he could switch on it..

one was chambered in a 6 BR and the other in 6.5 BR.....

now that I could get excited about.... dancing

cheers
seafire
cheers

You mean something like this?
http://ruger-mini-14-firearms.com/ruger_mini_prices.html

Posts: 1205 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 07 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

toys toys toys!!!! thumb
BOOM

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote