New
Find
Notify
Tools

6.5-300 weatherby
 Login/Join

<Dr. John>
posted
anyone have any info on this cartridge? speed, performance, on game. anyone know where I can get some info?

one of us
posted Hide Post
I just had one built and it works great has a 31 inch shillen delux match barrel with a 1 & 8 twist with the 142grMKBT I am getting 3200 fps drops a wolf like it was hit with a freight train with out a problem out to 1000 yards will do a lot better easy case to make not a lot of problems just form and a little bit of neck turning to square it up load and shoot fun rifle to owen.Have a good sunday: Coyote Slayer

Posts: 46 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 23 January 2002Reply With Quote
<grkldoc>
posted
Dr. John,

Look in any gun mail order catalog and you can find a copy of Wildcat Cartridges (combo edition). Here there is an article reviewing the ballistics and idiosyncrasies of the 6.5/300WWH. However, their velocities are a bit optomistic they suggest a 30" barrel can shoot a 140gr. at 3500 fps. I have extensively tested the 6.5 STW(essentially the same cartridge) a 140 gr bullet could be pushed maybe 3300fps out of a 28" barrel(65000psi max). I believe the value of 3200fps for a 142gr matchking is a reasonable velocity and probably runs around 55-60000psi considering the 31" barrel.

There are at least two threads I know of that deal with this topic. The first is in "share your favorite loads" forum where I have posted data for the 6.5 STW with peak strain measurements. The second is a thread dealing with selection of one of these large capacity 6.5 cartridges.The initiating author was GEG. I think this was the gunsmithing forum. There are also other threads asking what is the best 6.5 cartridge. Just do a search.

Have fun!!!

one of us
Picture of Heritage Arms
posted Hide Post
The 6,5 on the 300 WBY case is called the 6,5 wright hoyer named after Alex Hoyer. The guns were initially long range target guns for 1000 m shooting. I am sure barrel life is not great but Hoyer maintained it was a very accurate caliber.

I would think that a Weatherby Accumark in this caliber with an ultra long and narrow bullet of 160 grs be pretty good for hunting.

Posts: 1573 | Location: USA, most of the time  | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote