Find
Notify
Tools

17 hornady hornet
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Fellas
Anybody out there bought a rifle for this cartridge yet. I guess Savage is currently our only choice. FS

Posts: 698 | Location: Edmonton Alberta | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Fasteel--I heard that CZ will be coming out with that round?????I've never had a .22 hornet, but I think I'd like one. In air rifles, I much prefer .20 cal to .177's or .22's so in this category I'd opt for the .204 Ruger.

Posts: 3811 | Location: san angelo tx | Registered: 18 November 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Seventeens can be very finicky. I agree with Carpetman that a .20 caliber is a much better choice for most shooters. However, the .204 Ruger case is somewhat larger than it needs to be -- I'd like to see a round like the .20 Vartarg, built on the .221 Fireball case, made commercially available.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
not a hornady one but I do have a 17 ackley hornet (about the same thing) - it's a fun little round, cheaper to load than is buying 17 HMR ammo, fairly quiet and good for a couple hundred yards. kills crows very well

Posts: 13462 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Fasteel, I have one of the Savage laminate heavy barrel ones. Got it in November. The action felt alright in the shop but at the bench it was rough feeding and extracting. I sent it back to Savage and on it's return was a totally different beast!! Smooth, fed great from the magazine and shoots great with the factory loadings. Shoots great with 12.4 grains of AA1680 and the 20 VMAXS also. Go over to www.saubier.com and look up in the general discussion session the posts made by montdoug who posted the pics of what it did and my write up about it. Bad thing is I am going to have to call Savage next week when they re-open and ask for a replacement laminate stock! This one has a crack center line extending back behind the tang about two inches. GHD

Groundhog Devastation(GHD)

Posts: 2495 | Location: SW. VA | Registered: 29 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The 10 shots in the group pictured average 3702 and the 1680 load is running 3694.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
GHD

Are you the only person you know that has tried out this new round? FS

Posts: 698 | Location: Edmonton Alberta | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
FS, AB Bentley over on saubier forum had the first one of the Rugers that I knew of and he posted a rundown of his testing with it there. A couple guys in England had them and have been talking about how much they liked them for their varminting needs. Cheap to reload and very low noise for sure! People have been shooting 17 Ackleuy Hornets for years and this is pretty much the 17AH commercialized. Will it cut out the 17HMR??? In my opinion, NO! But it will sell some rifles to folks who would have bought a 17 HMR. two different little beasts but both usable little rounds. I will still shoot the 17HMR as well as the 17 Fireball but I like the new factory offering so now the 17 caliber stable has another member in it. GHD

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Did the dirty deed on another Savage in 17 Hornet, the varmint model with the 24 inch barrel and laminate stock. Not crazy about the accutrigger on this one, just not light enough. Shot a fine group with the hornady factory ammo. FS

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have 17 and 20 caliber guns. I can assure that the 17 is a great caliber, in the 17 FB, and 17 Rem. I had a 17 AH and sold it. It is quite similar to this new cartridge. Many people like the 17AH, but it was not my of tea.
Doubt I will own this one unless it comes out in a rifle that I like.

NRA Patron member

Posts: 2649 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I saw the Ruger 17/77 at the Shot Show as well as the CZ 527 in 17HH. They both looked really nice. I contacted both companies about the posibility of a left handed model and both said they would have to wait and see how they sold before they put out a lefty. I am done buying right handed rifles.

Posts: 743 | Location: Las Vegas | Registered: 23 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cliff Lyle
posted Hide Post
Bravo! I've done the same thing. No more RH rifles.
I ordered a Contender Carbine barrel from MGM last weekend at the Tulsa gun show. It'll take 6 weeks to get done and shipped.

Posts: 2155 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 03 October 2006Reply With Quote