Find
Notify
Tools

.25-06 for moose
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
OK, here goes my story and question.

Red Label got invited to moose camp for the first time this year. He is somewhat financially challenged and can't afford a new gun right now. He has a Ruger #1 in .25-06 that shoots 100 grain Nosler partitions into 5/8". The scope is a 4-12X Scopechief.

He has also been offered a sporterized Mauser action bolt gun in .300 Win Mag to borrow. It groups about 3" or worse and the trigger has about 4 creeping steps before breaking with about 1/2" of over travel (yuck) The scope is a 3-9X Scopechief.

So, does he take his own gun, which he uses all the time with familiarity on deer and woodchucks, or borrow the .300 Mag and hope it functions properly and hits something?

I bet you can guess what I am hoping you tell me.

tks, Mike

Posts: 199 | Location: Ontario, Canada | Registered: 15 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have seen a 1200lb moose taken with a 100gr partition through the lungs at 200 yards.I have also used the same 100gr partition in my 257wby to kill elk so it will do the job if you pick your shots carefully.I would sooner trust a smaller gun that I am familiar with than a more powerful one that has problems.

[ 09-04-2002, 07:23: Message edited by: stubblejumper ]

Posts: 3104 | Location: alberta,canada | Registered: 28 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks stubblejumper, that's what I was thinking too. I figure if it's a risky shot or it's beyond my capabilities, it walks. If I have a good shot to the vitals out to 250 or 300, I can make it cleanly. A 100 grain pill in the lungs and it's not going far.

I do most of my deer hunting with a crossbow so I don't mind turning down chancy shots.

tks, Mike

Posts: 199 | Location: Ontario, Canada | Registered: 15 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'd sure be tempted to work up a load using the 120 grain Partition.

~Holmes

Posts: 1171 | Location: Wyoming, USA | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'd go with stub's advice and use the 25-06,the loaner sounds more like a pile of raw material for someone's home project than a hunting rifle.If guys can kill moose with sharp blades attached to a fibreglass shaft launched from a primitive stringed apparatus...I'd say a good 25 cal bullet in the correct spot will suffice.

Posts: 588 | Location: Sherwood Park,Alberta,Canada | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Years ago my mother shot a nice bull moose in Canada with a 25-06 (when it was still a wildcat) using 117 (discontinued) gr nosler at about 300 yrds. One shot took a couple of steps - died. Enjoy the hunt and the meat

Posts: 363 | Location: Madison Alabama | Registered: 31 July 2002Reply With Quote
<eldeguello>
posted
I'd use the .25/'06 too, but I concur about working up a good load with the 120 grain Nosler partition! [Big Grin]

one of us
posted Hide Post
I've used the 25-06 on moose, with a 120 gr partition. Works fine. Just put the bullet where it's supposed to go. It's about my minimum for larger game though (moose,elk) - Dan

Posts: 5285 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thank you gentlemen!

I have located some Federal premiums loaded with 115 grain Partitions, I will use them this year as I am running out of time for load development. The gun is not usually fussy and should digest them just fine.

I appreciate your help.

Mike

one of us
posted Hide Post
Luck for the hunt - red label!

A month or so ago, I came back from a hunt where one of the party criticised me for "Not taking a chance!"

He couldn't understand me when I explained that I wasn't a hungry hunter - I prefer the animals to commit suicide.

Went up to shoot one Springbok - did that, and got the biggest, the best and with the least meat damage of the party. A good hunt.

In over 30 head of game that my 250/3000 has brought home, I have only recovered 1 of the 100gn Nosler heads and that was from a Fallow deer @ + 150m. (under the skin on the far side)

It's the "where" more than the "how much" that does the job.

I've also returned from more than one hunt without any venison - purely because I wasn't prepared to take "chancy" shots. Still came back with good memories.

Again good luck - let us know how it went - cheers edi.

Posts: 222 | Location: Cape Town South Africa | Registered: 02 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Red label, good luck with your hunt. My 25-06 and
I have taken kudu,gemsbok,zebra and other plains game. All with 100gr ballistic tips.

Posts: 493 | Location: GEORGIA, U.S.A. | Registered: 28 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks once again for your input, guys.

I know the .25-06 is a capable round if you acknowledge it's limitations and only take clean shots.

scrappy I'm interested in your use of ballistic tips. I know Nosler says the 100 grainer is a hunting bullet and the 85 grainer is a varminter, but I use the 100 grain BT on groundhogs and it's devastating. For deer and now moose I use partitions.

You are very happy with terminal performance of BT's on larger game? Maybe I'll head to the deer woods with my pet varmint load from now on!

tks, Mike

one of us
posted Hide Post
By all means, use the rifle you're comfortable with and can trust. You should see what some of the natives are using up here on moose. I plan on using a Savage 99 in 250/3000 one of these times...I do understand there is a difference between hunting for meat and paying alot of money to trophy hunt though. Good luck and keep us posted.

Posts: 4168 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of OldFart
posted Hide Post
My experience with moose has been that they seldom drop in their tracks, but they never do go far after being hit. I have never talked to anyone who has lost a moose.
My advice follows every one elses. Good luck, and post some pictures.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Gentlemen, the .25-06 got back safe and sound.

One member of our party filled a bull tag with a .300 Winny on opening night, and our cow tag got filled on day 2 with a .338. The .25-06 was used only to deliver the coup de grace on the cow.

We had our adult tags filled in two days and decided against hunting calves.

Thanks for all your advice....Mike

<kromer>
posted
Red, where do you hunt? i'm in 24 and nothing yet!!

<Ol' Sarge>
posted
I keep tellin' ya and tellin' ya, the .25-06 and 100 grain Nosler Ballistic Tips "kill like chain lightnin'".

one of us
posted Hide Post
kromer

15B

cheers, Mike

one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
Moose taste good [Big Grin]

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote