THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    Experiences with barnes X 85 grain in 257rob

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Experiences with barnes X 85 grain in 257rob
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of bama7x57
posted
I want to hear the good, the bad and the ugly of this combo on deer. Also any load recommendations.

bama

Posts: 84 | Location: alabama | Registered: 17 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
never loaded em in a 257 roberts but loaded in a 25-06, they worked fine, barnes stoped makeing them years ago. they do fine out too 250 yards.what powders you gonna try,ive got all 3 barnes manuals,the 2 most important things people miss is clean your rifle barrel so theres no copper fouling in it,i use and like barnes cr-10,but sweets 762 is good also,2nd jump your x bullet .50 thousands off your barrel lands,e-mail me ifin i can help you with powder charges regards. Smiler

Posts: 999 | Location: wisconsin | Registered: 26 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
I was pretty sure I saw some of these for sale on the Barnes website in the closeout section.
I haven't loaded any or used any on game but I'm guessing they would be hell on Deer and Antelope size animals, I've yet to see any Barnes bullets personnaly recovered from a Deer or Antelope hit in the boiler room and I'm sure these would do it too.

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not used that barnes bullet , But I did a small mule deer with the 100 grain tripple shock , pushed to 3100 FPS by 46 grains of H-414. Did a great job at a lazer maesure 102 yards...tj3006

freedom1st

one of us
posted Hide Post
They worked well on these Namibian springboks at 300 yards in the semi-desert where long shots are common, although in my 25-06 Rem.

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote