THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    Finally...Model 70 Extreme Weather SS 264 WinMag

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Finally...Model 70 Extreme Weather SS 264 WinMag
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
After seeing the "SHOT Show Special" Model 70 in 264 Winchester Magnum on the Winchester Repeating Arms website early this past spring, I just had to have one. I called Winchester in June, after repeated fruitless searches, and was told that delivery would probably start at the end of July. My excitement was so great that I actually went and purchased 100 Norma case, a couple .264 bullet brands, dies, and about the only powder I could find in-stock suitable for it, Retumbo. Then the waiting began. July came and went without seeing any available; then August and September as well. Finally I saw the 264 Winchester Magnum Extreme Weather SS inventory number at Davidson's, one of my local gun shop's distributors, show something other than "0". So, yesterday I placed my order and should have it this coming week. I am very excited after such a long, anticipation-filled wait.

I have a Leupold LPS 2.5x10 scope to mount on it and, since the deer season here in South Carolina lasts until January, I should be able to develop a load for use this season. Currently, I have the 127 gr. Barnes LRX and 140 gr. Nosler Accubond. One of these two should prove good enough to kill deer and hogs until I can acquire some other powders and bullets to do more testing for next season.

I just wanted to come share my excitement about finally acquiring my "Extreme Weather Westerner", as I have come to think of it. Hopefully this rifle will give me many years of accurate and faithful service.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Sounds like something I'd enjoy. Post some pics when you get it set up.

The hunting imperative was part of every man's soul; some denied or suppressed it, others diverted it into less blatantly violent avenues of expression, wielding clubs on the golf course or racquets on the court, substituting a little white ball for the prey of flesh and blood.
Wilbur Smith

Posts: 916 | Location: L.H. side of downunder | Registered: 07 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Will do dancing

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congratulations on your new .264. I'm sure you are going to like it. I have two M-70s in .264, an original (made 1962) Westerner with 26" barrel and one of the new Featherweights with 24" barrel. Loads and barrels vary, of course, but in my rifles the longer barrel gives about an additional 80 fps.

Haven't yet tried Retumbo so I'll be interested to hear your results once you get to testing your new rifle. In these days of powder shortages it's a good idea to be flexible and make use of what is available.

When you're ready to try other powders I suggest giving Ramshot Magnum a try. In both my rifles it gives the velocities I wanted along with excellent accuracy. In the 24" Featherweight I get 3,100 with 140 gr. bullets and 3,300 with 120 gr. As mentioned the 26" barrel adds about 80 fps to these numbers.

I like both of my blue steel/walnut rifles but would have to say your Extreme Weather version is more practical than either. If I ever saw one at a gunshop I'd be awfully tempted!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I will definitely post my findings with the Retumbo and will pick up some Ramshot Magnum, if I see any on the shelf. I also wanted to find some US869. Looking through my reloading manuals, it seemed to have very good velocity with heavier bullets and I wanted to stick with bullets around 130-140 grains.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Retumbo and 869 haven't worked well for me, accuracy wise. I've settled on Win 780 & Nos 130gr Acubond. Try it also.

Pancho
LTC, USA, RET

"Participating in a gun buy-back program because you think that criminals have too many guns is like having yourself castrated because you think your neighbors have too many kids." Clint Eastwood

Give me Liberty or give me Corona.

Posts: 937 | Location: Roswell, NM | Registered: 02 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
Congrats.

I have a model 70 in 7mm Rem needing a new barrel. Top two choices have been narrowed down to .264 WM or .338 WM. Guess it is time to flip a coin.

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4863 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
I think you'll enjoy the .264 WM. I had one in a pre-'4 M70 Westerner. Sold it when I built my Mauser-actioned 6.5x60 S&H.

At the moment also have two 6.5x54R rifles, & a Rem 722 on which I have put a take-off .260 Rem barrel, & a 65.5x55 on a 1970's-vintage Carl Gustaf.

All of them have their designated game which they are used for (even though any one of them would do for the same hunting all the others see), and all are a great deal of enjoyment.

Never saw a 6.5 I didn't like.

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Hondo,
Try some WC872 in your 264.
Weidner's usually has it.
8lbs for $49.00

Use H870 or AA8700 loading data for it.

Posts: 57 | Location: Parker Texas | Registered: 25 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just returned from sunny Florida and picked my new rifle. The action is as slick as oil on an ice cube and the fit and finish looks very good. I mounted the Leupold scope in Warne rings/bases and everything looks and feels very good. I have some work to catch up on, but hopefully by mid week I can find some time to start load development.

I definitely am going to be getting a variety of slow burning powders to try in the 264, but I found Retumbo first. Finding powder hasn't been easy. I even searched a few places during my travels to Florida, but to no avail. Retumbo should be good enough to at least get me through the remainder of this deer season.

Thank you all for the advice and words of wisdom.