THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    .223 or 6mmPPC for Rabbits/Squirrels/Other Uses

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

.223 or 6mmPPC for Rabbits/Squirrels/Other Uses
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
The bros in law gave me some gun $ for Xmas so I'm in the market for a new rifle. I want a 22 with an attitude. I have been focusing on the 22Hornet and 218Bee, but have realized they are harder to find and ballistics top out at or below 3000fps.

If I could load the .223 or 6mm down to 1500fps w/cast bullets and a good non-positional powder (don't want any 1/2 charge blow-ups, etc.), I could also use it for rabbits/squirrels. Does anyone know how slow these can be safely downloaded to and can share there proven load data?

As far as the caliber, I like the .223 because there is alot of cheap surplus ammo out there and I would think that bolt guns are readily available as well. I like the PPC because 6mm is legal for big game here in Colorado and it might make a real sweet first time antelope/deer gun for my kids when they come of age (of course the PPC's accuracy is a plus as well).

All advice/ideas are both welcomed and appreciated.

Deke.

Posts: 691 | Location: Somewhere in Idaho | Registered: 31 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What guns do you have now?

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My centerfire rifles are:

.30Gibbs (Elk, BBear, Deer) commercial mauser which ballistically and load wise I have found identical to a 300RSAUM.

7mm-08Rem (Metallic Silhouettes, Antelope, Deer) Rem700.

I am coming to the conclusion that 6mm would overlap the 7mm-08 too much for me and cast bullets loaded down for small game would be too heavy (approx 80gr vs 50gr for the .22).

I am leaning hard towards the high performance .22's. I know that it won't go big game hunting with the kids here in Colorado, but that is where the 7mm-08 comes in. I like the .22-250 in particular because it is chambered by most, it shoots large rifle primers, and it has an affinity towards RL15/IMR4064/H414 which are my best powders for my other two rifles.

Keep the suggestions coming,
Deke.

Posts: 691 | Location: Somewhere in Idaho | Registered: 31 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Since the 6mm is legal for game in your state I suggest a 243. You can shoot the light bullets backwards with charges of 2400 or Bluedot at 2000 fps for bunnies etc. Hunt varmints with 55 gr bullets and up and light big game as well.

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote