New
Find
Notify
Tools

CZ 527 22 Hornet
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Guys I recently read somewhere that the CZ 527 cannot feed, fit into the magazine of this rifle with certain 45gr bullets.Apparently the magazine does not accommodate these bullets and I was wondering if anybody has experienced such a problem? I was offered such a rifle in exchange for a bird shoot and or a very good cash price. Any info would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

Posts: 885 | Location: Eastern Cape, South Africa | Registered: 08 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The length of the magazine is set up for the length of the short stubby bullets used in factory length rounds.
The magazine can be made a little longer inside by changing the blocking piece in the back. I think the 19 Calhoun guy has some info on it.
I really dislike not being able to single load it easily without an adapter.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you for that SR4759. Dont understand why CZ dont rectify this so that us hand rollers can be happy too.... SmilerThey sure have a winner with that little action.

Posts: 885 | Location: Eastern Cape, South Africa | Registered: 08 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Never had problem with mine, but I must admit replacing the magazine with one of the single shot devices when it was pretty new.

NRA Patron Member

Posts: 404 | Location: Troy Michigan | Registered: 14 February 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
The factory mag does have a rather short OAL. However, it is easy to lengthen, takes all of 5 minutes, max.

I keep some modified so I can shoot the Hornaday 50 gr SPSX, and others I leave as-is for lighter, shorter bullets. Regardless, it is a tackdriver and feeds flawlessly.

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4863 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mike is it the same for the .221 fireball cartridge with the mag being short. If so how do you rectify it ?

Thanks, Tom

Posts: 1195 | Location: Billings,MT | Registered: 24 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Like others pointed out the magazine has a plastic spacer. I can be removed and sanded thin so you can load longer overall length cartridges. I have done that to mine. I'm not real pleased with how crappy the magazine feeds. If you single load a cartridge by putting it in the chamber it's hard on the extractor even though it's bevels and rides over the rim. The Mauser claw was not originally designed to do that.

I believe the magazine to be the same length for all the cartridges that CZ puts on the 527 action.

One more thing that my magazine does is sometimes the bolt won't strip a cartridge from it, it rides over the cartridge.

Other then that the rifle is fantastic. With the Hornady V Max and a stiff charge of WW 296 powder mine will shoot consistent 3/8 inch 5 shot groups at 100 yards. I'll put up with a not so well engineered magazine for a rifle that groups like that.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lal:
Thank you for that SR4759. Dont understand why CZ dont rectify this so that us hand rollers can be happy too.... SmilerThey sure have a winner with that little action.

Pretty sure that most folks with 527's in hornet are reloaders. But then again I load and shoot the 35gr vmax pingpong ball as Montdoug so wisely descibes it. I much prefer the Calhoon single shot adapters over loading mags all day, I have 2 of these one is always in my 19 Calhoon the other in my 527 hornet full stock. They seem to be a pretty slick adapter and then a guy use any bullet he wants without any extra farting around. FS

Posts: 698 | Location: Edmonton Alberta | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
IIRC

the hornet, .221 & .222 CZ527 mags are the same external dimensions , use the same trigger guard /bottom metal assy & just have different internals.

I use a 221Mag for a 20VT with 40 & 45Gn projectiles ( longer than your typical .221 fireball ) , & have no problem with COL.

The .204R & .223 in the CZ527 use a longer Magazine and a different triggerguard/bottom metal.

If you have a very long COL in .221 its just a matter of purchasing a .222Rem Magazine for the CZ527 , loading it , & slapping it in your existing CZ527 in .221.
- the 222Rem magazine is longer internally , but has feed rails entirely compatible with a .221 case

Posts: 493 | Registered: 01 September 2010Reply With Quote