New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Sick 223
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have a standard PSS, and I'm having all kinds of fun shooting a 52gr Sierra HPBT propelled by 20gr of IMR 4198 seated .020" off the lands.

Just a thought but you might want to try a different primer. Worked for me with the above mentioned load.

Rick

Posts: 178 | Location: North Alabama | Registered: 15 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have one of those too and when I first got it,it wouldn't shoot either but the problem was that when I put it in the rest the barrel was dropping down in the forearm.So I took a steel washer and put it inside between the front screw and the forearm it gave me a free floated barrel then,It shoots great now but it has to warm the barrel first,it just won't group with a cold barrel.You said that yours was glass bedded so this probably isn't the problem with yours.
Mine loves IMR 4895 (27 grs) and the serria 40 gr spitzers.
I plan on getting the stock glass bedded and stiffened but just haven't got aroud to it yet.

Posts: 508 | Location: Newton,NC,USA | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My 1-9 223 Savage will shoot these three loads.
50 Vmax
27.3 748
2.300 COL
CCI450

50 Barnes VLC
25.0 Benchmark
2.268 COL
Fed 205GM

69 Sierra MK
24.0 Varget
Fed205GM

Good luck, H.H.

Posts: 161 | Location: hoosierville | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Before you give up on the gun, call Savage. There was another poster on here that I saw who said they saw strange things in the barrel. They called Savage, and the company asked what size groups he was shooting. Immediately they said to send the gun back. They ended up putting a new barrel on the gun for free.

Savage usually stands by their guns from what I've seen. Especially a new one like the AccuTrigger models. If there's a problem, they're going to want to know about it. No manufacturing process is perfect, but if they can investigate the failures, they can make them happen with less frequency.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a 12 FVSS that did not shoot (.75" to 1.5")and I put 500 rounds through the rifle working up load and it was still very inconsistant. I finally sent it to the factory as a last resort. It came back and according to the invoice they did not do anything but inspect and test fire the rifle. When I called them before going out to shoot it they said they didn't do anything to it. But when it came back it shot match loads (27 gr. Varget with Sierra 53 gr. Match bullets) consistantly under .5" @ 100 yards and a few .3's. For not doing anything they sure helped me, they may know a fix that they are not talking about. My rifle has the cheap synthetic stock and has not been bedded and as long as it is doing .5" or less I am not doing anymore. Might give
the factory a shot at it.

Posts: 411 | Location: Smack, in the middle of Oklahoma | Registered: 18 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
jbok that sounds like mine. i workes up loads going up in .3gr increments and it didnt do a thing. just proved that the tow bullets and two poweder and the 25 or so loads were all the same. nothing worked.

plan now is to shoot off all my handloads and send it down the road.

Posts: 159 | Location: Saskatchewan  | Registered: 14 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sask Hunter:

As you can see from the posts, the Savage .223s have a 1:9 (actually 1:8.75) twist and shoot best with heavier bullets. I have a BVSS and it shoots best with Sierra 60-gr. HPs and Sierra 69-gr. MHPBT. Have recently tried 55-gr. Hornady Vmax's with good luck and also Sierra 53-gr. Match HPs. This barrel seems to prefer the ball powders (BL-C(2) and W748) with most bullets, but the 69 Sierra's like Varget. Don't give up too soon. Though I don't like the "cheap" plastic stocks on the FPs, in my little corner of the world I have yet to see one that doesn't shoot.

Merry Christmas ... ReedG

Posts: 42 | Location: Lyndon, VT | Registered: 08 May 2002Reply With Quote