New
Find
Notify
Tools

25-06 115 VLD
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I'm trying to get an accurate load with these using IMR 7828, just wandering if anyone is using
7828. What are you seating off the lands with these bullets? I've been using H4831 and getting good results but about out of that.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I've been using H4831 and getting good results

H4831 & VVN-160 are the best two powders I've tried and also had good success with for accuracy loads in my 25-06 Remington. Haven't used IMR-7828 although I did use the remaining portion of a can of H-1000 and it worked, well; O.K., but not spectacular.

So far 110's, 115's & 120's have been difficult to obtain the keen level of accuracy I desire, despite alot of fumbling around wth O.A.L.

My default position for a new cartridge is "normal" reference book A.O.L.; and if the bullet I have selected to start with is within these parameters I initially attempt bullet seated to junction of the neck/shoulder and work back/forward from there if the bullet shape will accomodate this cartridge length without encroaching the lands.

Having said, that I was confronted with two issues:

1. H-4831 finally grouped spectacularly when I went a tad (.5gr.) above some recommended maximum(s).

2. I obtained better accuracy by reducing O.A.L. in every bullet weight from 80-120 gr.

Both could indicate higher pressure(s); apparently hasn't been the case (pun?) with the resulting loads so far, no indications nor brass longevity issues, either.

Cheers,

Number 10

Posts: 3433 | Location: Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I tried accubond 110gr and hornady 120gr HP and 117gr bullets with 7828 and quite a few loads and not one that I thought was acceptable, so I'm thinking about giving up testing with 7828 and trying some reloder 25. FS

Posts: 698 | Location: Edmonton Alberta | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The best powders I've found for heavy bullets in the 25-06 are H and IMR 4350, H and IMR 4831 and RL-17. Basically nickel sized, 3-5 shot groups at 3000 fs plus a bit.

If you want to shoot the heavy, long bullets you have to throat for the bullet seated bullet base even with the bottom of the case neck, not counting any boat tail, basically about one caliber to 0.300" deep...at the lands +/- a bit...the loaded round is usually too long to work through the magazine...a 90-100% density powder load, at 3000 fs +/- a bit.

I always liked 120 Hornadys and 117 gr Speer's, but favorite bullet is 100 gr Noslers BT's and Varget or IMR 4064...3400 fs +/- a bit, 26" -30" bbl and bug hole 5 shot groups with a re-barreled Rem Sendero.

The same load has collected the bacon in three different 26" and 28" barreled rifles over the past 50 years...an early Rem BDL, a Sav 110 and a later Rem Sendero...and then load was given to me by a gunsmith who called it the 25 Neidner that first came out in 1920.

I've known a few Neidner fans, long dead now, and the 25-06's potential is wasted unless you have a 26- 30" barrel. I learned very quickly not to be a young "whipper snapper" when the old timers cleaned my plow at shooting matches back in the day with their "Long toms". As soon as I was properly "chagrined and respectful" they gave up some of their secrets, which I'm now doing.