New
Find
Notify
Tools

It begins again!
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Leave for a few days to chase elk and deer and an old thread blows up!

The cartridges were never really the question it was more the barrel length and contour. So I'll apologize for not making my intentions clear. I'm thinking the KS contour from Lilja as it is similar to the Remington Sporter contour but finishes at .600 at 22". My other choice is the standard sporter contour .660 at 22" or mountain rifle contour barrel .550 at 22".

Anyway, these are on the back burner for awhile as I'll be taking a pay cut for the next 20 weeks starting in December. I'm training for a promotion at work and the training pay is around half of what I'm used to so projects have to be halted. However, feel free to keep the discussion lively as I might change my mind.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Taylorforce--Did your daughter get to go elk hunting? I'm guessing no elks or I suspect you'd have said so. BTW thanks for the permission to discuss this. If we can get CHC's permission, we can continue.

Posts: 3811 | Location: san angelo tx | Registered: 18 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
No my daughter isn't old enough to chase elk and deer in Colorado yet, she doesn't turn 12 until next year. She'll be hunting deer in Oklahoma Saturday to Wednesday. She's taking her trust .223 "Bruiser" and her .300 Savage to hopefully bag her first buck.

My buddy filled his elk tag and I filled my buck. My buck was just a small four point nothing special. Just haven't had any real time to set down and collect my thoughts, dealing with a frozen pipe in the laundry room.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Taylorforce--I hope your daughter has good luck in Oklahoma on her deer hunt. If she uses the .223 for a buck, that will be a very novel unheard of situation and should make for some good posts here. That's a bummer getting promoted and having a pay cut. Would that be from overtime loss?

Posts: 3811 | Location: san angelo tx | Registered: 18 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It would be cool if she takes a buck, she had a chance at one when she was 9 but wasn't comfortable with the shot so she wouldn't take it. She never saw a buck in her range last year, so she is kind of ate up with getting one this year. It doesn't help my friend has a boy the a week older than her that has got a buck both years we've hunted together in Oklahoma. My daughter has a competitive streak and it comes out from time to time to say the least.

I work for BNSF railroad as a conductor, I just got accepted into the locomotive engineer training program. The training pay is a set rate per day which grosses about $4500 per month. Once I'm an engineer I'll have the opportunities to at least double that per month. However, it is about $2500 less than what I gross a month now on average.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Taylorforce--Certainly wasn't asking about your salary. Interesting info you gave though. You mentioned your friends son getting his buck. My nephew had finished pharmacy school (at an older age than most) done a hitch in the Army, but had never killed a deer. We took his son out and he used my .222 to get a buck his first day. My nephew bought his son a .223 and we put the scope on it and helped him zero it, and he got buck #2. Dad still didn't have one. But he finally connected and got a couple more.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The only reason I gave pay was it's easier to explain that way. The railroad is so convoluted on how things work if your not working for them you'd be hard pressed to understand, hell I've been at it three years and don't have a handle on everything. So it's just easier to use pay to make people understand why a guy would take a 20 week pay cut for a promotion.