THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    Just finished a AR SPR build in 6.5 Grendel / .264 LBC.

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Just finished a AR SPR build in 6.5 Grendel / .264 LBC.
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of SMACK!!!!
posted
This 18" , 8 twist SPR Blackhole Weaponry barrel flat shoots.

Fired 9 rounds on the new barrel to check for function, adjust the adjustable gas block and get on paper. A quick scrubbing with some Butches bore shine and I loaded five handloads in the magazine and went for my first 5 shot group. The target bellow was shot at 130 yards from the prone in the dirt, off a bipod with a rear bag. I was more than impressed with the Blackhole barrel. These were rounds 10-14 on the new barrel. My cold clean bore shot was almost exactly 1 MOA high, the next four flat stacked in there!

I had it Cerakoted in a Persenal mix of Burnt Bronze and Graphite black.

--------------------------------------------

Nothing like a trail of blood to find your way back home.

Posts: 774 | Location: North Central Washington | Registered: 02 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
From the topography shown you must be close to E-burg. My mothers family settled there in the 40's. I love that area. Good shooting.

Dennis Earl Smith
Professional Member ACGG
Benefactor Life NRA
Life NAHC

Posts: 311 | Location: Tygh Valley, OR | Registered: 05 November 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SMACK!!!!
posted Hide Post
About a hour and a half away. Big Grin

Posts: 774 | Location: North Central Washington | Registered: 02 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
Nice set up Smack.
Looks plenty accurate too, real nice, you going to hunt it this year?

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rain on a hunting rifle...Oh the HORROR!!! That is a GREAT looking rifle. I'm green with envy. I'll bet you'll enjoy it more than your quarry will.

**************************The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first.

Posts: 282 | Location: South West Wisconsin | Registered: 27 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of scottfromdallas
posted Hide Post
That is a gorgeous rifle and a shooter to boot. Love it. Nice job. tu2

Posts: 1941 | Location: Texas | Registered: 19 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SMACK!!!!
posted Hide Post
It shoots the 130gr Nosler Accubonds rather well. Wink

one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
Don't ya love it when they shoot like that?

Is that a decocking lever?

It looks like it ignored throwing the clean/cold bore shot on that Accubond group.

Any idea of velocities?

Looks good . . . GREAT!

Don't limit your challenges . . .
Challenge your limits

Posts: 4261 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There is nothing like success, but I am surprised the round takes a magnum primer with such a small powder charge...

It is no secret that the LBC shoots up a storm, and yours is obviously one more bit of proof.

Nice rifle, and VERY nice shooting!

Posts: 4748 | Location: TX | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SMACK!!!!
posted Hide Post
Well switched things up a bit, changed out barrels and built another .264 LBC/Grendel. This time I went with a 8 twist, 16" rifle length gas in a light weight custom contour. The barrel weighs in at 1lb 9.7oz.

Pulled the 18" off the one pictured above and put a looooong 8 twist .264 LBC bull barrel on it.

Here's some pics of the latest one. The 5.56 mag is just for the photo's. Some of them were taken before my barrel arrived. The Cerakote is a mix of titanium & graphite black. I call it "Terminal grey".

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Although you labelled it 6.5 Grendel/.264 LBC, I understand that the two chambers have different neck diameters. Are the barrels from Blackhole the tighter LBC neck diameter or the 6.5 Grendel diameter?

Clarence

Posts: 303 | Location: Hill Country, TX | Registered: 26 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SMACK!!!!
posted Hide Post
All my barrels are marked/ chambered .264 LBC. All factory ammo and brass that has been shot through them have been head stamped 6.5 Grendel. I'm not going to get into the history of the 6.5 Grendel in its name because it was around long before it was labeled "6.5 Grendel". The throat dimensions are also different with the .264 LBC.

All marked .264 LBC.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Doesn't the new rifle have an ambidextrous bolt release, or am I misinterpreting the extra button above the mag release on the RH side? If so, why is it sporting an B.A.D.? Nice looking rifles either way. How looooooong is the new barrel on the other one? Looks like the bi-pod is a necessity.

Posts: 714 | Location: Milwaukee, Wisconsin | Registered: 09 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SMACK!!!!
posted Hide Post
Yes, the Mega lower has the Ambi bolt release but the BAD lever comes into play when locking the bolt to the rear. I can keep ahold of the grip with my right hand , pull the charging handle with my left and tip the BAD lever up with my trigger finger and release the charging handle and the chamber is cleared and bolt locked to the rear in one quick motion.

Makes it much faster to clear a stoppage with the rifle still shoulderd also. The AMBI option just releases the bolt, it does not aid in locking it to the rear.

One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
Dude

whose bolt did you use?? I have two Griz side cock uppers I bought years ago. Was going to go with CSS but they are a lost cause.

Posts: 6487 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SMACK!!!!
posted Hide Post
The Blackhole Weaponry barrels are type 1 , so I got the bolts from their "Sister Co" Tactical Ammunition. Which is basically across the street from them in Oregon.

http://www.tacticalammunition....uctId=598&quantity=1