THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    .264 Win Mag tests with 7 different powders

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

.264 Win Mag tests with 7 different powders
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hey everybody,

Got my .264 back from the gunsmith on Friday and quickly got to work at the loading bench to find powders that would give me the velocity I know for which the .264 is capable. In the past, I was using H-4831 and was very disappointed with the velocity and case fill density. After chatting on these forums with folks who really are experts on loading the .264 WM, (Stonecreek, ramrod340, Blair among others) I learned that the slowest of powders must be used to attain max velocity.

With the 140 grain bullet, I tested US-869, T-870 (Same as H-870), Ramshot Magnum, Hodgdon Retumbo, and Alliant RL-25.

With the 129 grain bullet, I tested RL-25, Retumbo, Winchester 780, MagPro, and Magnum.

Here's a summary without being too detailed and boring:

With the 129 gr bullet, Winchester 780 was king. I found the published data was pretty accurate as to what the max load was; 67 gr.. I loaded 4 shells from 64 gr to 70gr in 2gr increments. I fired 3 of them stopping at 68 grains and a recorded velocity of 3350fps in my 26" barrel. The other powders didn't give the velocity even at charges over the max published. I worked up carefully and stopped when any signs of pressure showed, usually a pretty flat primer.

With the 140 grain bullet, US-869 and the T-870 gave the velocity I was looking for; around the 3200fps mark at the max end of the test which were 80 gr and 78 gr. respectively. To get this amount of these powders in the case, I had to use a longer drop tube and still they were full up to the base of the neck and definitely were compressed loads when the bullets were seated.

Now the task is to find an accurate load with these powders. It was too windy yesterday to come to any conclusions at 300 yards Frowner

one of us
posted Hide Post
Glad to hear that US869 and T-870 look like they will work for you with the 140 grain bullet.

From the amount of US869 you are using, it must be very close in burning rate to some WC-872 I have. The T-870 sounds a little slower than H-870, which is consistent with other reports I've heard on it.

I'm assuming you were working with new brass. If so, you'll find the your neck-sized, or partial full-length sized brass will hold a little more powder (or hold the same amount of powder without as much compression.)

One more suggestion: If you can wring any more powder room out of your cases by neck sizing-only, you may find that either US 869 or T-870 will also give you the higherst velocities with 125-129 grain bullets.

Surplus dealers are now listing a WC-868. My guess is that it is the same spec powder as US869, however I have no evidence of this. But for half the price of commercial powder, you might want to give it a whirl.

Posts: 13243 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Stonecreek,

I didn't think of using the T-870 or the US-869 with the lighter bullets, and when I loaded the 140's and saw how full the cases were, I didn't give it another thought.

Do you think that with the same charge weight as I gave the 140's, the 129's will exceed the velocity I achieved with the W780? I really don't see how I can get any more of those powders in the case for the lighter bullet.

I was pretty impressed with the W780 and thought I might try it with the 140's as well. I bet it will give the 140 a ride at about 3200fps.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rick,

I'd give Stonecreek's advice a shot......I remember loading for a 6.5x68 nearly 20 years ago and the best results I got with the 125 Partition was with H870.

Glad to hear you got the velocities...keep us posted on your accuracy results mate.

ATB

Verbera!, Iugula!, Iugula!!!

Blair.

Posts: 8808 | Location: Sydney, Australia. | Registered: 21 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think it will be a while, maybe months.

I had to send the gun back. I'm sure the barrel is bad. After 5 treatments of Wipe Out copper is still pouring out of it. It has a rough spot about 6" in front of the chamber that you can feel when pushing a patch through.Frowner

one of us
posted Hide Post
bummer...

Posts: 1416 | Location: Texas | Registered: 02 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hmmmmmmmmmm.

It's a new barrel for you mate, I'd say.

What brand is it, if I may ask?

Blair.

Posts: 8808 | Location: Sydney, Australia. | Registered: 21 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was interested in trying the T-870, but when I called to place an order, he told me that they presenting only ship in 4 8 lbs containers. They will ship the individal stuff later on.

I'm not sure I need 32 lbs of powder right now. Anyone have an 8 lbs they would be willing to sell?

Posts: 270 | Location: Cedar Rapids IA | Registered: 02 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Blair,

The barrel is a Lothar Walther

mgoodrich,

They sent me 2- 8# containers. Talk to Darrel. I sold one to a buddy.........

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a Sendero SFII in 264. I really like light bullets and with IMR 7828 I can get a shade over 3700 fps with Sierra 100gr molys and over 3600 with 100 gr Nosler partitions and RL22. Both will print 1 1/4" @ 200. The partions have taken SD mule deer just shy of 400 yards to 50 yards with picture perfect performance. I am pretty impressed with the Remington. It is a completely stock rifle and it clearly shoots better than I can.

Posts: 849 | Location: MN | Registered: 11 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rcamuglia:
Blair,

The barrel is a Lothar Walther

mgoodrich,

They sent me 2- 8# containers. Talk to Darrel. I sold one to a buddy.........

Rick,

I'd get a Krieger or a Bartlein as a replacement.

The guy who makes my barrels here in Oz, treats them in some way to deter copper build up. Even when running a barrel in they hardly ever copper up........and he doesn't like you to use Sweets as it etches the barrels in his opinion.........

I'd like to get four 8lb kegs of that US-869 thumb

Blair.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the barrel advice. I think they'll get the next one right. I'm just glad they will stand behind it. My 'smith swears by them.

I'll send you the US-869 if there's a way! Send me the same amount of N-570!

My 'smith says the same about Sweet's but that's another thread. I've been down that road! jumping

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rick,

Just got the latest Sinclairs catalog........they are listing N570 Smiler

ATB

Blair.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks! I'll check some out!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
They don't have it in stock. I already asked.

Posts: 270 | Location: Cedar Rapids IA | Registered: 02 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Frowner

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I hate to resurrect an old thread but.....is this T870 something that is currently being made or is this also never to be available again?

Posts: 99 | Location: Hudson Valley | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote