THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    correct rate of twist for 260 Rem?

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

correct rate of twist for 260 Rem?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I'm considering building a 260 Rem on a Sako actio with a Hart 24" barrel. Berger recommends a twist of 1 in 8 for both their 130 VLD and 140 VLD bullets. Seems tight to me but they're the experts not me.

What rate of twist would be correct for the 120 NBT and 140 NAB?

Bobby B.

Posts: 323 | Location: Edmonton, Alberta, Canada | Registered: 12 September 2007Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
1 in 8 is what I got. will shoot anything.

one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
A 1:8 is what I prefer and recommend for any of the 6.5s.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9412 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys. I'll go with the 1 in 8 then.

Bobby B.

Posts: 323 | Location: Edmonton, Alberta, Canada | Registered: 12 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bobby B.:
Thanks guys. I'll go with the 1 in 8 then.

Bobby B.

IMO you can't go wrong there. However a 1-9" would work as well. With the 1-8" you will ber able to handle heavier bullets as well as the 120s and mor common bullets.

The .260 is a great cartridge!

Posts: 908 | Location: Western Colorado | Registered: 21 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rem sells the Classic model in 1:9". I used it for smaller bullets for predator hunting at long ranges and during extremely windy days. 85-100 grs are great in this rifle.

Posts: 2268 | Location: Westchester, NY, USA | Registered: 02 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 6.5BR
posted Hide Post
I had poor luck in my 6.5/308 w/9" twist using 140 partitions, 129s and down were fine. Same with Model 7 carbine.

With my current 260, a Sako 75, 9 twist, it shoots 142 SMK, 140 AMAX and 140 Corelokts well, just as my Ruger 6.5x55 #1 with 8 twist.

If you are set to build, do an 8. If you have yet to build, have you thought of using a factory Sako 260?

What action? L579, AII, etc?

Posts: 2898 | Registered: 25 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of GSSP
posted Hide Post
I practice all the time out to 1000 yds (one thousand) with my Rem 700 CDL SF w/ it's 1:9 and Sierra 140 GK's or MK's. No problems.

Alan

Posts: 1719 | Location: Utah | Registered: 01 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dr. Lou
posted Hide Post
I had a Sako AII with a Hart barrel chambered for the 260. It was a 1:8 and it worked great with bullets weighing 85-140.

If you have the choice, I would go with the 1:8, however you will be fine with a 1:9. Chances are your short-action magazine won't let you use bullets much longer than 140-142 anyway. 156 and 160s will require you to seat them deep, which will usurp valuable powder capacity. Lou

NRA Life Benefactor Member

Posts: 3316 | Location: USA | Registered: 15 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
All of mine (260, 6.5-284, 6.5x55, 264WM) are 1:9 and I have had no problems with any bullet weight up to the Sierra 142 HPBT Match Kings. I don't shoot 160s. I am, however, having my new 6.5-284 built as a 1:8 just to try one.

Larry

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
From what I understand, the quicker the twist, the more energy is used up spinning the bullet as compared to increasing velocity In addition, the quicker the twist, the greater the 'stress' placed on the bullet as it enters the rifling.

One of Alberta's more reknowned barrel makers, Ron Smith, offers a gaintwist barrel. For example, the twist begins as a 1 in 20 twist but ends as a 1 in 8 twist. The strategy here is to avoid the 'sudden' impact of a 1 in 8 twist destabilizing the bullet plus avoiding wasting energy/powder spinning the bullet which instead could be used to accelerate the bullet.

I'd like to stabilize 130 Berger VLD's (Berger recommends a 1 in 8 twist) without resorting to losing velocity.

Bobby B.

one of us
Picture of Dr. Lou
posted Hide Post
I'd go with the 1:8 because it gives a little extra flexibility. I don't think it's really needed for the 130s, but Berger knows more about it than I do - hopefully. Lou

NRA Life Benefactor Member

Posts: 3316 | Location: USA | Registered: 15 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
To GSSP, what is the difference in group size between the Sierra 140 GameKings and the Matchkings. I'm shooting a 6.5x284 now and haven't bought any GameKings, when i used to shoot 30 cal. the difference between MatchKings and GameKings was only about 1" at 300 yards and the hunting bullet was a lot cheaper.

velocity is like a new car, always losing value.
BC is like diamonds, holding value forever.

Posts: 1650 | Location: , texas | Registered: 01 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
From what I understand, the quicker the twist, the more energy is used up spinning the bullet as compared to increasing velocity

While this is at least physically true the amount of energy that actually goes into spinning the bullet is so little that it's actually insignificant. I believed this once as well but have come to realize that it's not a deal breaker when it comes to picking twist.

The critical factors in twist is to stabilize the bullet and not to twist the bullet so severely as to blow it up with centrifugal force.

Again, your correct in this statement but I've never been able to measure it. It's quite possible if one is using a twist that is a lot faster than commonly used twists but I'd suggest that bullet blow up will happen first.

Posts: 908 | Location: Western Colorado | Registered: 21 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of GSSP
posted Hide Post
Swampshooter,

Good catch on that one. Like the 180 Nosler BT's and AB which I shoot in my 30-06 Ackley Imp. They shoot to the same POI for me and have identical BC's and velocities and yet I practice with the BT's and hunt with both. Well, actually I don't hunt with the MK but the 140 Partition.

To answer your question, for my "hunting" grade rifle the accuracy is sub MOA for both when I do my part and I pay attention to the wind. Both use H4350 and max charges from the Hodgdon manual. FYI, I also shoot the Nosler 140 Partition as it has the same BC and POI as the GK. I use H1000 for it. I'm actually heading out to the range in an hour to test the same two bullets/powders in my daughter's identical 260 Rem; elk season is in less than two months.

Posts: 1719 | Location: Utah | Registered: 01 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
eurocentric

Check your rate again, i have a Rem 700 classic in 6.5X55, i had read that it was a 1-8" rate then someone said it had a 1-9" i checked and its 1-8" but do the checking yourself so you know.

I would go with a 1-8" it allows enough twist for longer bullets the M-96 mauser is a 1-7.5" rate.

Posts: 498 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: 22 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The classic only sold for one year in 6.5X55 it was the 1994 model....

Posts: 498 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: 22 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The gain twist idea sounds good iI had a Win 22 lr with it and it seemed to hit harder than the 10-22.Good Luck

Posts: 1371 | Location: Plains,TEXAS | Registered: 14 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a remington modle 7 in .260 REM and it has a 20" barrle with the 1-9" twist and it will shoot ANY thing I am getting .990-1.125" groups with 160gr round nosers ...@ 100yards so I would just shoot them and see even if you have a 1-9"

One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
quote:
the quicker the twist, the more energy is used up spinning the bullet as compared to increasing velocity

About 35% of the energy is "used up" spinning the bullet. That's why HV tank guns these days are smoothbores firing "arrows" of depleted uranium.....

"Bitte, trinks du nicht das Wasser. Dahin haben die Kuhen gesheissen."

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote