New
Find
Notify
Tools

Barrel length for 22lr
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have a standard Ruger 10/22 that I like very much and I saw a new model at Wally-world that had a 22" barrel and no barrel-band. I like the way it looks but wonder whether the extra barrel length would be a drag.

Any thoughts on an 18" barrel vs. the 22" barrel? Would the extra barrel length be noticed? Would the velocities suffer?

Thanks.

[ 12-06-2003, 04:48: Message edited by: Nebraska ]

Posts: 1346 | Location: NE | Registered: 03 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I am not sure that the barrel is really 22" it looks more like 20. Yeah I saw the tag too. I feel the short barrel on the standard 10/22 is one of its flaws. Longer barrel is slightly more steady to hold and slightly quieter too. Plus it looks better. BTW I think the walmart version has a rubber butt and checkered wood with no barrel band, thus solving most of what I see as the shortcomings of this great little rifle. Get one.

Posts: 140 | Location: Irmo, SC | Registered: 16 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nebraska:
. . . . Any thoughts on an 18" barrel vs. the 22" barrel? Would the extra barrel length be noticed? Would the velocities suffer? . . .

The extra barrel length isn't really noticable to me when I compare carrying an 18" heavy barrel with a 20 " heavy barrel. I have both lengths on two 10/22's and both are pretty muzzle-heavy when compared to the original contour. I don't think there's enough difference to base a decision on.

Regarding velocities, it is generally accepted that the optimum barrel length for .22 long rifle high speed and standard velocity ammo is about 15". Longer barrels tend to reduce muzzle velocity due to drag. I am not certain whether this is still true when discussing the "hyper-velocity" rounds.

Posts: 588 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 08 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think eshell is correct that the optimum (maximum) velocity with typical .22 rimfire ammunition comes in a barrel of somewhere in the 15 to 16 inch length. However, the reduction in velocity when using a barrel as long as 24 inches is minimal, perhaps 25 or 30 fps. And as Mike notes, the longer the barrel the quieter the report. I was surprised just how much quieter when I did some shooting recently with a bolt action 22" barrel after being accustomed to an 18" Ruger 10/22 barrel.

Also, if you use iron sights the longer barrel will provide a longer sight radius which will allow slightly more accuracy in aiming.

If you like the longer barreled gun, buy it.

[ 12-06-2003, 00:15: Message edited by: Stonecreek ]

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
sorry, double post.

[ 12-06-2003, 00:14: Message edited by: Stonecreek ]

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I actually have a 22inch green mtn barrel on my sporter 10/22 w/is similar to the walmart model and I think it points and balances better but I shoot from my truck a lot and it is cumbersome to use in side a truck cab.If I had it do do over I would have had green mtn cut it to 18.w/regards

Posts: 610 | Location: MT | Registered: 01 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I had Clark do a couple of my Rugers, a 10-22 and a 77-22. Clark claims they did the old cut off an inch at a time test and 18 inches was the magig number. In spite of that I like em longer, that muzzle heavy feel helps in off hand for me.---Shoot Safe---montdoug

Posts: 1181 | Location: Bozeman Montana | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the replies. [Wink]

Posts: 1346 | Location: NE | Registered: 03 March 2002Reply With Quote