Find
Notify
Tools

19/223 Any Advice?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Snapper
posted
I've been reading about the 19/223 and it looks good on paper and sounds better than the various 17 and 20 caliber cartridges out there. Should I pick up one of these or continue working up loads in my .223 for dogs and cats.

Thanks for the comments!

Snapper

Posts: 767 | Location: U.S.A. | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
<tsmysak>
posted
Before buying a .19, I would suggest considering two things. Bullet and barrel suppliers. I don't have a 19, but I do a 20. I have yet to see a performance advantage in either until you consider that there are several major bullet suppliers for the .20. That is a big plus. Check out:
http://www.angelfire.com/sd/6mmackley/twentycaliber.html

Regards,

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
...sounds better than the various 17 and 20 caliber cartridges...
With the .19 and .20 being so close in size (.198-.204), I am always interested in why someone chooses one over the other. I struggled with it a few years ago before trying an odd-ball twenty then switching to the Tactical Twenty. I am now completely sold on the twenty caliber, but if the .19 Ruger-Hornet conversions would have been available at the time, I would have likely given them serious consideration.

If you don't mind, what sounds better to you about the .19?

Thanks,
Mike

[ 03-13-2003, 01:49: Message edited by: Mike J ]

Posts: 43 | Location: The Republic of Texas | Registered: 15 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Snapper
posted Hide Post
Hi Mike, Isn't .198 a 20 caliber (round up .002)? Just kidding.

I think I like the article on the 19 better, no other reason. I didn't realize it was only .006 smaller than the 20 cal barrel. I have a .223 and wanted something smaller, but didn't want to go as small as the 17/223.

After reading about the 19/223, I considered buying their gun and a bunch or their bullets and I would be set for life. Where did I go wrong?

All this time I'm getting serious about a 19 caliber gun when it is closer to 20 cal. I'll re-read the tact20 article.

How will these calibers do on coyote? I really want enough gun for coyotes out to 250 yds and overkill on everything smaller.

Thanks for the help!

Snapper

Posts: 767 | Location: U.S.A. | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If the rifle is for actual use then forget the .20's, 19's etc. Whatever they do in some tiny way different must be so microscopic as to be insignificant.

However if you want to shoot a lot and experiment they look like a lot of fun.

There is a niche for a small bullet of low report. The Hornet does not fill that niche well. So perhaps one of these little rounds will catch on. I am all for it but that's for the inventors and not the hunters.

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
<tsmysak>
posted
You'd have to explain what "actual use" is. I have shot tons of coyotes and other varmints over the years, and frankly it is mystery how the high velocity rounds deliver so much more energy down range. I think it has much to do with the rotational speed. There is a clear differnce. The .20 tactical hits harder than anything I have ever seen, although I give you that it would be lousy for bigger game. It is simply not designed for that.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tsmysak:
You'd have to explain what "actual use" is. I have shot tons of coyotes and other varmints over the years, and frankly it is mystery how the high velocity rounds deliver so much more energy down range. I think it has much to do with the rotational speed. There is a clear differnce. The .20 tactical hits harder than anything I have ever seen,

When your in CT send me an email and you can shoot along side my Swift and you will "see". I only have a 1-14 twist also.

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I talked with James Calhoon today about the .19-.223.I was real impressed.I'm in the process of getting one of his rebarrel kits.I plan on using the .19 for coyotes.

Posts: 281 | Location: N.E. Montana | Registered: 08 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
After reading about the 19/223, I considered buying their gun and a bunch or their bullets and I would be set for life. Where did I go wrong?

You probably can't go wrong at all doing it like this. Buying enough bullets up front to wear out a barrel is a very good idea with a wildcat.

Let us know how it works out.

mj

Posts: 43 | Location: The Republic of Texas | Registered: 15 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DannoBoone
posted Hide Post
I came very, very close to getting the 19/223 but
opted on the Tac 20, due to bullet selection (which
has increased tremendously). I just wish Mr. Calhoon
would quit knocking the .204's and start making some
of his great bullets in that caliber. Yes, you can
get the 30gr 5mm from Certech which James makes, but
that's a pretty light bullet, expensive, and who
knows how fast it can be pushed without failure?

One advantage of reloading for the 19 is that the
angle of the shoulder remains the same, and is NOT
pushed back. If one were to get a rifle barrel made
from Greg Tannel, one would not have to go through
the pain of forming the .223 case because he just
makes the chamber a little deeper for the Tac 20.
If there were one thing I would do over again, that
is what I would do.

Posts: 565 | Location: Walker, IA, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Dan,

Haven't heard from you in a while. Have you tried any of the new selections yet? What--10 new bullets announced in the last two months or so? 7 makers providing 15-18 choices... Its a good time to be a twenty shooter [Big Grin]

Mike