Find
Notify
Tools

Re: 270 Win. 110 gr bullets
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Ear shot??

That's a new one. With the advent of using .223 Remington for deer hunting, many hunters with .22 centerfires have gone to head and neck shots as they're a much more sure thing than a body shot with a .22 bullet.

There is some logic to this (though not enough to get me to hunt with a .223). The .223 has been a God send to the American rifleman as it has almost no perceivable recoil and isn't very loud out of a 22 inch barrel. Therefore, riflemen are pulling off shots they would have never dreamed about with their .30-06's. Personally, I think it's great that people are opting for less gun rather than more as a miss with a .458 is just as effective as a miss with a .223.

Now onto your question. Yes, you could employ the 110 grain bullet, using the .223 shooters tactics, but that completely undermines the great rifle you have. The .270 is a wonderful deer cartride, capable of cleanly taking deer way out there. If you are interested in lightening your load, go with the 130 grain bullets. They'll kick about the same as the 110 grain'ers, but can be counted on to break bones and push through flesh much better.

That way, if you want to try to pull of an "ear" shot, go right ahead. But, if you want to be more sensible, and shoot for the conventional vitals, you have that option as well.

P.S. If the military decides to adopt the 6.8 SPC round, this question will come up again and again.

My two cents

<eldeguello>
posted
Quote:

I just loaded 110gr Sierra bullets for my 270 Win. Sierra load book said that these will go 3300fps. I think they will do 3200 fps. Have these bullets been used on deer?

Not by me! But they sure put big holes in skunks, porcupines, and jackrabbits!!

posted Hide Post
your right about the 130 grain but if you really want to bust a shoulder blade go with 150 the recoil is the same.