New
Find
Notify
Tools

savage 12 fv 6.5 creedmore
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
on sale at cabela's in ftw. after tax 400.32 with an additional $100.00 rebate. bought one yesterday. opinions anybody?

Posts: 28 | Location: northlake,texas | Registered: 04 November 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
actually it was $400.51 after taxes($369.99 b-4 taxes so $300.51 after rebate.) so doesn't anybody have any experience with this rifle?

Posts: 28 | Location: northlake,texas | Registered: 04 November 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bought an Axis package in 6.5 CM from SW last year on sale @ $349 plus $100 rebate. It shoots under an inch with 140 Sierra MKs and H414 .

What's not to like ?

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The rifle...the cartridge...or both????

I've been building Savage rifles since the early 60's, for myself, friends and family...it came out in '58.

MOST of the time, most of then shoot better than many can hold...now and then, just like anything made by the hand of man, one goes wobbly. It's happened to me but not often and it's usually easily fixable. If it's a toad send it back to Savage, they are usually very good at "fixing" bad things...but I think more than likely you will have a bugholer after you tune it correctly.

I have several LA and SA that keep me on my toes as far as them shooting better than I can...one 11(same action as the 12) 243 Win in particular started out bugholing with the first load I picked out of a reloading manual and I HAVEN'T TOUCHED it in any way since. I normally go through a specific procedure to "TUNE" ANY new rifle I buy(few and far between)...all I do to this one is to shoot it, clean it and sometimes adjust the seating or powder charge when I buy new components.

The ONLY way to know is to SHOOT IT with a few different factory and reloaded rounds. EACH rifle is unique and my rifle might just blow yours away or visa versa.

EVERYONE, when acquiring a new-to-them ANYTHING, wants to compare it just to satisfy/cancel that fear of having bought a toad...so STOP DOING THAT and get to work enjoying your new toy.

You'll soon know one way or another.

Good Luck and Good Hunting tu2

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I took the advice and bought the rifle several weeks ago, but have not had an opportunity to shoot it before yesterday. I think it is going to be a shooter. Not having any loading information, but a lot of experience with the 6.5-08, I extrapolated a load, using 46 grains of Varget and an 87 grain Sierra flat base, hollow point bullet. After shooting it at 25 and 50 yards, I went on to 100 and my last group was quite satisfactory, with four of the five shots going into one ragged hole. I was using a 10X Lyman All American with a dot reticle, and having trouble with the parallax adjustment, but I think I will switch to something else, next time out.

I heard nothing from Savage nor from Cabelas about a rebate, however.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I bought one of these back in 11/17 and put a Weaver V16 on it with Warne rings. I have shot one box each of five different types of factory ammo and a couple different reloads with 120 grain BTs and 130 grain ABs. It shoots good groups even though the stock isn't all that stiff.

It is a long, heavy, rifle and quite frankly I don't know that I have any practical use for it, so it will probably get cleaned, oiled, and put back into the box that it came in.

Posts: 993 | Location: Omaha, NE, USA | Registered: 11 May 2005Reply With Quote