New
Find
Notify
Tools

OM 70 22 Hornet...
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have the opportunity to purchase a very low # Model 70 in 22 Hornet. It looks absolutely new.
The elderly gentleman who owns it says his uncle bought it new when they were first introduced.

It looks perfect. He says it was sent back to Winchester to be refinished many years ago.

Would you pay $1200 for it?

thanks,

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of waterrat
posted Hide Post
In a heartbeat!

I tend to use more than enough gun

Posts: 1414 | Location: lake iliamna alaska | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Idaho Sharpshooter:

It looks perfect. He says it was sent back to Winchester to be refinished many years ago.

Would you pay $1200 for it?

thanks,

Rich

yuck

Matt
FISH!!

Heed the words of Winston Smith in Orwell's 1984:

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right."

Posts: 3292 | Location: Northern Colorado | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you won't I will--- beer

Posts: 6725 | Location: central Texas | Registered: 05 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jimatcat
posted Hide Post
Ive got a first year 22 hornet... And i paid about $1300 for it... stock has been cut..a recoil pad added to bring it back to lenght... drilled/tapped...blue is good, about 90%... check the bore.. i think the early hornets were .224

go big or go home ........

DSC-- Life Member
NRA--Life member
DRSS--9.3x74 r Chapuis

Posts: 2842 | Location: dividing my time between san angelo and victoria texas.......... USA | Registered: 26 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Rich,
Please let me save you from problems of getting the rifle to shoot, finding the right brass and dies.
PM the information to me and I'll buy it. That way you won't have to suffer!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Please allow me to be 3rd in line...buy it!

DRSS &
Bolt Action Trash

Posts: 860 | Location: Arizona + Just as far as memory reaches | Registered: 04 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'd be grabbing for my wallet so fast, I'd tear the pocket off my Wranglers!!

Posts: 687 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 21 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It is good to have friends. I was just wavering a bit because I wear glasses and iron sights are not my best friend.

You guys talked me into it. Tomorrow at 10:30 I will be headed home with the rifle.

Thanks,

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Last one of those(in fact the only one I've ever seen) I saw down here in FL, the asking price was $1900. It was gone before I could dig up the scratch(in a couple of weeks IIRC)...

Heck if you want I've got a nice old Weaver KV scope that would be about right for the gun and its time. The KV is actually a 2 3/4X or 5X power depending on how you have it set, heh, heh, heh.
I've got an old pre-Sako in .222R that came with one; it's actually a pretty good piece of glass considering it's probably older then I am...

Posts: 148 | Location: back in the USA | Registered: 28 April 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
quote:
It is good to have friends. I was just wavering a bit because I wear glasses and iron sights are not my best friend.

You guys talked me into it. Tomorrow at 10:30 I will be headed home with the rifle.

Thanks,

Rich

Lucky Duck

Posts: 81 | Location: Iowa | Registered: 08 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of zimbabwe
posted Hide Post
It wouldn't be a heartbeat for me as my heart would be stopped. That's the Model 70 I miss most. The last one I had had the barrel cut off behind the front sight. Otherwise in excellant shape with a Lyman ramp front and a Redfield peep. Shot excellantly. And I would hate to say how much I traded for it but you wouldn't have much change from a $1000 bill. And this was over 15 years ago. Since then here in Tucson I don't think I have ever seen another one for sale. I just looked on one of the auction sites and they had 2 - one for $9700 and one for $10500 - pre 64's.

SCI Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
DRSS

Posts: 2786 | Location: Green Valley,Az | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
this one is serial number 36xx.