New
Find
Notify
Tools

Terminal ballistics
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
of the mighty 6,5mm. Only the cup and core bullets of these are legal for big game in Sweden the Swedish Hunters Association wants the lighter monometals to be legal too (a 120gr bullet with a e100 at 2600j are only legal for roedeer and smaller).

"6,5x55 SE (C.I.P.) A comparison of rifle bullet terminal performance in ballistic simulant material for big game hunting purposes" Lapua Mega, Norma Oryx, Barnes ttsx, Lapua Naturalis, Hornady gmx

https://jagareforbundet.se/con...a165fee/65x55_se.pdf

Posts: 3611 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 02 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Agreed.

Posts: 849 | Location: MN | Registered: 11 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
be careful what you ask for, your ammo costs might just double.

Posts: 5001 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cup and core work beautifully at the velocities of the 6.5x55. Don't see much reason to go to monometal except it's something you just want to do.

Posts: 531 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 01 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes the cup and core work great im not going to change, if not leadbullets are banned.

Posts: 3611 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 02 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
'Tis true -- cup and core are hard to beat. This is particularly true when the basis for comparison is based on velocity, momentum, and energy at the target.

There is a growing body of evidence that suggests the critical factor affecting how quickly a game animal drops from a wound is the length and diameter of the permanent wound cavity.

This paper extends the concept into an empirically derived algorithm for comparing cup and core bullets with other designs: http://shootersnotes.com/ideal...llet-metric-weights/.

The paper uses insights inferred to have been used by mesolithic hunters in Northern Europe to design and build arrowheads coupled with modern bullet performance in gelatin and recovered carcasses.

Bottom line, the paper suggests that a 100 gr monolith hunting bullets gives about the same performance as a 140-150 gr cup and core bullet when the metric is a high likelihood of fainting within ten seconds to fainting when the thoracic cavity is struck.

So, this more or less summary paper, and the experience of thousands of hunters around the world could provide a basis for allowing their use.

They are mandated for fur bearing mammals where I live, so chafe at having to use them even though they perform better.

Posts: 89 | Location: Northern California | Registered: 11 April 2017Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Wow, very interesting study.

I know you shouldn't base conclusions on the relatively small sample size of personal experience, but...

With wild hogs I've gone back to .308/30-06 in the 150 to 168 grain cup and core bullet size after a year with the .300 Blackout shooting 115gr monometals. The .300 BO killed them, but we often wouldn't find them until the next day. In particular, shot one twice, and the first was about 1 inch under the eye, but the bullet turned down through the mouth. Luckily, anchored it with a second shot. The .308 and .30-06 seem to regularly drop them in 15 seconds.

I realize that the velocity from the bigger calibers is 500/800 fps faster allowing better penetration, but the study summary says caliber isn't really an issue. Maybe if I read further, it assumes a minimum velocity?

Anyway, thanks for linking to it.

Posts: 1729 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 17 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by skl1:
Wow, very interesting study.

I know you shouldn't base conclusions on the relatively small sample size of personal experience, but...

With wild hogs I've gone back to .308/30-06 in the 150 to 168 grain cup and core bullet size after a year with the .300 Blackout shooting 115gr monometals. The .300 BO killed them, but we often wouldn't find them until the next day. In particular, shot one twice, and the first was about 1 inch under the eye, but the bullet turned down through the mouth. Luckily, anchored it with a second shot. The .308 and .30-06 seem to regularly drop them in 15 seconds.

I realize that the velocity from the bigger calibers is 500/800 fps faster allowing better penetration, but the study summary says caliber isn't really an issue. Maybe if I read further, it assumes a minimum velocity?

Your comparison is more about 30 caliber cartridges than cup and core vs Monometal.

Try your .308 Win with 130 grain Monometals and you will see completely different performance.

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by skl1:...Maybe if I read further, it assumes a minimum velocity?

The minimum recommended velocity is the lowest velocity where the bullet will reliably open. That velocity ranges from abut 1600 fps to 2200 fps depending on bullet design.

Cup and core bullets generally have a maximum recommended velocity ranging from around 2800 to 3000 fps, again design dependent. The bullets tend to come apart way too fast to attain reliable penetration above these velocities.

Varmint bullets, on the other hand, are usually designed to disintegrate at rather low velocities. That's one of the reasons they are not recommended for big game.

Posts: 89 | Location: Northern California | Registered: 11 April 2017Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by skl1:
...With wild hogs I've gone back to .308/30-06 in the 150 to 168 grain cup and core bullet size after a year with the .300 Blackout shooting 115gr monometals...

Can you help improve our insight?

What was the manufacturer's minimum recommended impact velocity for their monometal bullets?

What wss the probable impact velocity with the Blackout at the ranges where the hogs were hit?

one of us
posted Hide Post
I can't find recommended velocity range other than "this bullet was optimized for use in the 300 BO", but I was using the Barnes 110gr TAC-TX bullets (not 115gr) in both factory and handloaded loads at about 2350 fps muzzle velocity. Probably 2000 to 2200 fps at impact.

Posts: 1729 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 17 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The TSX is reported to have a minimum expansion velocity and others speculate the TAX-TX behaves the same.

I am not so sure, however, since a nominal tactical bullet likely is designed with barrier defeat as one of the functions. That would imply a harder alloy.

One could try a poor man's gel test by lining up several i-gallon jugs filled with water and aluminum flashing between the bottles. One is not likely to recover the bullet, but the flashing should act as witness plates to indicate whether the bullet is expanding and whether the expansion or tumble starts in the first or a subsequent jug.

Since the expected impact velocity is not lower that 2,000 fps, downloading to get that velocity should be straight forward.