Find
Notify
Tools

Value Question
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of MyNameIsEarl
posted
I have a Remington 700 22-250 that I rebarreled with a McGowen 1-12 twist medium weight barrel. Action was trued/blueprinted. It sits in a Boyds laminate stock. 24 inch match crown barrel.

I cannot get my pictures to upload, it is more to do with my internet connection I think.

New barrel has maybe 100 rounds through it. I worked up several loads for it and then put it away and have not shot it since. Changed barrels because the factory barrel finally shot out. I went with the 1-12 twist because I wanted to shoot heavier than 55 grain bullets and the heavier barrel to counter the thin factory barrel. Weight was not a concern.

I realize there are no pics but can someone give me a few ball park ideas what it is worth. Thinking about selling it. I always wanted a 6mm Remington.

Will be hard to let this one go as it was the first rifle I bought myself and I have killed 3 Couse deer with it, countless prairie dogs, and a dozen coyotes. It has always been a tack driver.

The scope on it is a cheap Tasco 6-18x 40 AO I believe. Not worth lot I know.

Posts: 765 | Location: Camp Verde, AZ | Registered: 05 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Firearms pricing on the low side these days it seems, but would think your rifle as described would bring between $700- $1,000 with or without the scope you mention. You might consider a trade deal with dealer for a 6mm rifle you are looking for as an option?? Good luck.

Posts: 1050 | Location: S.Charleston, WV | Registered: 18 June 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jimatcat
posted Hide Post
from what I'm seeing at Texas gunshows, your rifle might bring $4-600.... typically the buyer does not recognize a rebarrel as adding any $$ to the value of a gun... and an aftermarket stock, while nice looking, is the same....unless the seller can name smith who did the work, I won't take a chance on a non-factory rifle.... before you get mad at me, I sell at 20 plus shows in central-west Texas...and I see all sorts of great rebarrelled, restocked guns that bring a fraction of their worth... good luck with your sale..

go big or go home ........

DSC-- Life Member
NRA--Life member
DRSS--9.3x74 r Chapuis

Posts: 2842 | Location: dividing my time between san angelo and victoria texas.......... USA | Registered: 26 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The 12 twist barrel will stabilize up to 60 grain bullets. A little better choice would be a faster tw. like 8-9tw. That would get you into heavier bullets that really shine for range and kinetic energy.

I agree with the prices mentioned for the rifle. If it were mine I would keep it and shoot the hound out of it. It likely cost more to get to where it is than you might be able to get for it.

That said If it were me I would furnish test targets with it showing it's potential for accuracy at 100 yards. That would enhance it's value a lot.

Joe

Posts: 1111 | Location: Blooming Grove, Tx. | Registered: 28 June 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you put a tag on the rifle stating it had a 1-12 twist I doubt you would even get $600 for it at a gun show.
Nowadays seems most shooters want faster twists to handle longer bullets. $450 might bring a fast sale if condition is really good.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6644 | Location: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MyNameIsEarl
posted Hide Post
I stand corrected. I did put a 1 in 10 twist. Thanks for the information. I will probably hang on to it. Unless I find a 6mm I want to trade for. Would rather build one. SO I will just save my pennies.

Thanks for the info.

BTW Jimatcat, no offense taken. I understand what you are saying. All the smith work was done by me and my father. It was a great father son project and I learned a ton.

Posts: 765 | Location: Camp Verde, AZ | Registered: 05 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jimatcat
posted Hide Post
ive seen some great father/son projects,,, some pretty neat, well thought out projects... my dad always told me that model 12 Winchesters were money in the bank... guess that's on reason I have a whole bunch of 'em...dad's been gone since '81 and he never got to share all my toys...on my tables at the shows I usually have quite a few of nostalgic guns,.. I enjoy the conversations they generate with men older than me... and I'm 59...that's part of the fun at the shows....

go big or go home ........

DSC-- Life Member
NRA--Life member
DRSS--9.3x74 r Chapuis

Posts: 2842 | Location: dividing my time between san angelo and victoria texas.......... USA | Registered: 26 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
posted document.write('<nobr>'+ myTimeZone('Wed, 20 Sep 2017 04:57:41 GMT-0700', '20 September 2017 16:57')+'</nobr>');20 September 2017 16:5720 September 2017 16:57Hide Postfrom what I'm seeing at Texas gunshows, your rifle might bring $4-600.... typically the buyer does not recognize a rebarrel as adding any $$ to the value of a gun... and an aftermarket stock, while nice looking, is the same....unless the seller can name smith who did the work, I won't take a chance on a non-factory rifle.... before you get mad at me, I sell at 20 plus shows in central-west Texas...and I see all sorts of great rebarrelled, restocked guns that bring a fraction of their worth... good luck with your sale..

My even reduce value. Just like many "custom" go for far less then one has in them.

Posts: 19607 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hard to value a simi custom rifle by description, would need it in hand..A local smith might be a better option for value.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42171 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Semi-Custom guns are VERY hard to price as mentioned.
If you find someone that wants EXACTLY what you have Caliber- Stock -Twist it may bring $700-800.00
I was told many years anytime you purchase a used rifle figure the cost of a new barrel therefore it brings the price closer to $400-500.

Good Luck
Jim

"Today is the 1st Day, of the Rest of Your Life"

Posts: 160 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 11 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I was told many years anytime you purchase a used rifle figure the cost of a new barrel therefore it brings the price closer to $400-500.

Varmint calibers more so.

Posts: 19607 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote