THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    AR-15 varmint rifle caliber decision

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

AR-15 varmint rifle caliber decision
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have been thinking about building a new AR-15 style varmint gun. I just can't decide on what caliber I want. it is a toss up between a 223/5.56 or a 6 PPC. Any one have any experence with the 6 PPC and varmint hunting. I looked at a 204, but I perfer a heavier bullet. My main hunting will be is for wolfs, coyotes, fox, and lynx. I'm looking for a fur friendly round and my 22-250 can do a lot of damage if the animal is to close. Thanks any info would be great

Posts: 89 | Location: North Dakota | Registered: 21 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Fur friendly I would go for the 5.56.

Perry

Posts: 2249 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 01 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
6PPC is just asking for problems. Stay with the old standard.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I *love* the 6mm PPC, although I shoot it out of bolt guns.

One issue to consider, if you want a varmint rifle, is that components should be easily available, and preferably in large quantities and at low cost. That is seldomly the case for the 6mm PPC. You could choose to rely on Norma brass, and although good quality brass, it is expensive and availability can be spotty. Necked up Lapua .220 Russian is also an option. With that case you have to make sure your chamber will take this brass without turning - unless you fancy neck turning large quantities of cases... Price is also fairly high, and availability far from guaranteed. Graf's used to sell 6mm PPC brass with their own headstamp. Pretty decent brass, but I don't believe they sell it any longer?? I think that is just about it for 6mm PPC brass sources. As much as I love that caliber, I don't think I would choose it for highish volume shooting, unless, of course, you can lay in a healthy stash of cases up front.

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of shootr
posted Hide Post
woodelf, I have a 6mm WOA AR, necked down 6.8 SPC, very accurate to 600 yards. I use SSA brass, CCI-450 primers, Benchmark powder and 70gr to 107gr bullets depending on what I'm shooting at.

Posts: 4 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 07 October 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You really don't need an opinion YOU simply need to stop and THINK ! Fur Friendly little entrance hole

an exit hole if not using soft point ammo !. NOW what comes to Mind in an AR platform !!!.

See YOU answered your own question !!!!!!!!!.

salute archer archer

Posts: 4485 | Location: Planet Earth | Registered: 17 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
you could always go with a .223/6mm just a 5.56 with a 6mm bullet. i guess you can still get pretty decent velocities out of it as well. 6mm is a nice bullet for varmints and you could even shoot some deer with it as well. you can also get higher ballistic coefficients than them lil .223's. you should be able to find a barrel for that or at even just the barrel.

if at first you dont succeed. blow it up.

Posts: 72 | Location: st. johnsville ny | Registered: 19 July 2010Reply With Quote