Find
Notify
Tools

22 hornet
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Ok , so whats the deal ? I see 45gr. Hornet
bullets available in both 224 and 223 . I just picked up a 14in Contender barrel , and was
preparing to load 224 dia. bullets for it .
Am I safe , in assuming my barrel is bored
for 224 ammo ?
Thanks , Bob

DRSS Chapuis 9.3 x 74 R
RSM. 416 Rigby
RSM 375 H&H

Posts: 1302 | Location: Catskill Mountains N.Y. | Registered: 13 September 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would assume so, but best to check... it is my understanding that the original Hornets were produced with .223" bores, later "standardized" to .224" so they were in line with all the other 22-calibers.

I think I would call TC and get the straight answer.

Posts: 4748 | Location: TX | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jerry Eden
posted Hide Post
Bear Cat: Hornets produced before world war 2 were a bore diameter of .223. After the war they were standardized to .224. I have one of each a pre war Model 23-D Savage, and a post war Model 43 Winchester. I shoot .224 bullets in both. As a matter of fact the pre war Savage prefers .224. If you look at it this way its only .00025 on a side, not much to worry about, IMO!

Jerry

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 1297 | Location: Chandler arizona | Registered: 29 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
G A Woody Sr "created" the 22 Hornet. He took the 22wcf and stuffed a jacketed bullet ahead of a case full of smokeless powder in the late 1920's while he was at Springfield Armory.

That story includes, and stars: French bicyclists on the old 4-foot front wheel bikes, farm dogs, Askins Sr, and even Remington and Winchester in supporting roles. As a young man I was privileged to visit Whelen at his sister's house in University City/Place, a suburb of St Louis.

I was also privileged to shoot the two original 22 Hornets. Woody's son moved west and inherited the two rifles along with some other treasures from the Armory. One was a LoWall in 22lr, and the other one of the first M22's the Armory produced.

Rich

Woody, Townsend Whelen, Grosvenor Wotkyns, and...

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 303Guy
posted Hide Post
I only use .224 bullets in my .223 bore hornet. It shoots very well too, with a compressed charge of 13.7gr Lil'Gun under a 55gr Hornady spire point. It delivers 2740fps with that combo (but that's with RP cases - a Remington case that got in by accident expanded the primer pocket!) Make no mistake, pressures are higher than SAAMI spec but it is an Anshutz which also comes in 222.

Regards
303Guy

Posts: 2518 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys , 224 it is then !
Sooooo , I called cabelas to order reloading
componants today . You guessed it ---- not a 224
bullet available , every box [ out of stock ]
WTF , is going on ?

DRSS Chapuis 9.3 x 74 R
RSM. 416 Rigby
RSM 375 H&H

Posts: 1302 | Location: Catskill Mountains N.Y. | Registered: 13 September 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
WTF , is going on ?

your wonderful government barf

Posts: 13462 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had a customer in my store today and he was talking about his Marlin auto in hornet. Anyone ever of this.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
three comments:

1. the 40 gr Hornady red tip is a killer in my Savage 23D and RF Sedgley short action Hornets.

2. I guess indirectly you can blame the government but they are not stocking up on 22 Hornet bullets. As Pogo said " we have met the enemy and they are us". I know people who bought 50,000 primers when the Kenyan was elected the first time. A friend told me at a NY gunshow a couple of weeks ago, bricks of 22 RF generics were $100 a brick AND the guy sold out.

3. Marlin never made a semi auto 22 Hornet. Rather doubt anyone did. It would have to be a locked breech or the world's heaviest blowback.
Remember the problems Remington had trying to get the 17 HMR to work in a semi-auto.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I believe, according to the CZ website that their Hornets have a 223 bore. Interesting....

Posts: 885 | Location: Eastern Cape, South Africa | Registered: 08 January 2010Reply With Quote