Find
Notify
Tools

223 Rem with 60 gr bullets
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of reloaderman
posted
I had a nice surprise when I tried some Horndy 60 gr. V-Max, I loaded for fighting the wind at our club's benchrest style matches. At 200 yds the seemed to group better then anything else I tried!
I'm shooting a Tikka 595, with a 1 in 12 twist, and didn't think they would stablize.......but WOW!
Has anybody else had such luck with the heavier bullets in the 223 Rem?

Shovel ready.....
but hangin' on

Posts: 707 | Location: West Texas,USA | Registered: 20 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
The 60 grain bullets are about the longest that will stabilize in a 1:12 -- at least in my usage.

I like the heavy bullets in the .223. In fact, for a while, I went to a 26" 1:8 to make the most of the 75 grain A-Max. For 2-300 yard shots on coyotes, it puts the .223 Rem into an entirely different league. Coyotes are quite tenacious, and in general I consider the .223 a little on the light side when the range begins to approach 200 yards. But the 75 grainers, which shot extremely well, carried significantly more energy and were distinctly more authoritative on the longer shots.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9410 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My 223 is a Sako wearing a Shilen 1:9. It likes the 60 gr V-Max better than anything else I've tried.

One of Us
Picture of Akshooter
posted Hide Post
Of the five .223's I have some shoot 60 gr well. I find that my guns with 1 in 12 will shoot 55 gr well but really start to fall off with a 60 gr.
I think your lucky with this one

DRSS
NRA life
AK Master Guide 124

Posts: 1562 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Guys,

I'm still trying to get Nosler 60 gr. Partitions to shoot in either my Heym or Blaser R93, .223 Remingtons; at least with some semblance of accuracy that I'm used to with other bullets/loads in this cartridge.

Both these rifles have 1:12 twists and will shoot up to 55 grainers just fine.

Only exception has been an RWS 74 gr. cone Point made for the 5.6x57 - they shoot good solid 1" groups in both .223's.

Cheers,

Number 10

Posts: 3433 | Location: Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My Ruger VT loves the 60 gr Hornady SPs and the 55 grain SPs...especially with a charge of 21.5 grains of IMR 4198...

60 grain V Maxes, it does't care for, but they work especially well with the Savage one in 9 twist...

the 60 grain HP Sierra is also a one hole shooter in the Savage...

all the above work real well in a 22.250 with a one in 8 twist...

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Akshooter
posted Hide Post
Gerry
I think your expiriancing the same thing I have with the 1 in 12 on your .223's They are just fickle about what they will shoot. I guess that is why I have five of them.
I have found that the 1 in 9 on my heavy barrel AR will shoot 55's great and the heavy bullets great as well. The 1 in 8 on my custom mini 14 will shoot under an inch with 70 gr speers but only about 1 1/2 with 55's. My Ruger compact .223 will shoot anything up to 55 gr. with its 1 in 12

DRSS
NRA life
AK Master Guide 124

Posts: 1562 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2006Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
My 1-8 twist 24" ar15 will shoot anything from 35grvmax to 80gr smk.Just the other day I had 8 out of 10 shots at and under 1/2 inch at 100 yards using 55gr vmax(with imr3031 that meters horribly)..
The 77gr smk have worked well to 600 yards magazine fed with h4895,LC brass,, and winchester primers.
I also believe that the heavier longer bullets have ALOT more energy to bring to the table.
At 600 yards they just smack the steel plate, denting it slightly and turning them to powder.But at 300 yards LOOK out.They were drilling through that plate steel(can't remember how thick 4 sure,but I think it was 3/8)..
1-8 twist shooting 35gr vmax with a2015br!yes
I was surprised too(a2015br powder is awesome though).
They were under 1" at 100 yards so they didn't do to bad considering I did not take any time to load them special.

I believe in A faster twist.Unless it is a special benchrest situation.I think using a 1-8 for anything 52gr and up is a must.
Im not saying I need it,,I just want the ability to shoot the longer bullets for 600+ yards.
Longer ranges is what I like to do when possible so I need 1-8 for 75,77,80gr bullets.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
At 3 cents each, I bought thousands of 60 gr Hornady TAP [tactical and police] when Hornady changed the load and surplussed the bullets.

Long bullets get straight in the bore.
Short bullets don't kick much.

If long bullets are not key holing, but don't shoot as well, recoil is not being managed.

If short bullets don't shoot well and are not spinning apart, you are not loading concentrically.

Posts: 9043 | Location: on the rock | Registered: 16 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My 700 1-12 bbl shoots 62 berger and 60 hp hornady as good or beter than 52 gr match bullets. 1/2 - 5/8" @ 100 yds.

Posts: 656 | Location: Nebraska | Registered: 06 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Twist is another really cool things about the Savage rifles, especially the BV12S and SS. They come with a 1:9" twist, and since the bolt heads are interchangeable, you can rechamber one to big cases 22 centerfires and shoot up to the 80gr Nosler and Sierra bullets. I did one in a 22-284, and got the Spring Crazies and built a 22-378Wbee AI version. Not that was a flamethrower!

Rich
DRSS

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of pdhntr1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by seafire/B17G:
My Ruger VT loves the 60 gr Hornady SPs and the 55 grain SPs...especially with a charge of 21.5 grains of IMR 4198..

thumb

Jim

Please be an ethical PD hunter, always practice shoot and release!!

Praying for all the brave souls standing in harms way.

Posts: 731 | Location: NoWis. | Registered: 04 May 2004Reply With Quote