Find
Notify
Tools

CZ 455 swapping barrels
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted
Anyone have any experience with the 455 and swapping barrels between various rim fires?

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I just bought one in .22 Magnum about a month and a half ago. The accuracy was good for a factory .22 mag which is to say poor compared to the .17 HMR's we have been shooting for the last number of years so I ordered an HMR barrel from CZ. When the barrel got there the paperwork had all the usual "lawyer cautions" that the headspace should be checked and the barrel fitted by a gunsmith to the new rifle. Headspace was fine as was and the tech at CZ said that's just a warning. The barrel dropped right in and functions fine, took about 5 minutes or a bit less (duck soup). The .17HMR barrel allowed me to shrink the factory .22 Mag barrel groups from around an inch or inch and a quarter to between 1/2 and 3/4's at 100 yards (using a 4X12 Vortex scope, higher power would help an old fart like me shrink both barrels groups I'm sure).
Mine is the heavy barrel varmint (.866 at the muzzle) and I like it very much. As an aside, I really wanted to see how accurate a .22 Mag could shoot so in a fit of total madness shocker I ordered a Lilga drop in .22 mag barrel and now I know! Groups with the Lilga barrel are in the 1/2 to 3/4 inch 5 shot 100 yard group range now using CCI 30 grain V-Max ammo, best .22 Mag accuracy I've ever seen.
That's my experiences with the new 455 and I'm tickled pink with it dancing!!

"If a man buys a rifle at a gun show and his wife doesn't know it"...Did he really buy a rifle?
Firearm Philosophy 101. montdoug

Posts: 1181 | Location: Bozeman Montana | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
ya but with a Lilja barrel, you still think you are shooting a CZ? hmmm.... FS

Posts: 698 | Location: Edmonton Alberta | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Pretty tough to shoot a barrel without it being attached to a....."Drum roll please"......."Rifle"..Ta-Da!! Wink. Yupper, it'd be a CZ rifle with a Lilga barrel attached not a Liga barrel with some sorta rifle attached. Just joking but Lilga barrel aside I still really like the 455 Switch-Barrel with only the factory barrels from CZ I have the heavy barrel with both CZ's .22 Mag it came as and the .17 HMR barrel. They make the same configuration barrel in .22LR that comes with a spacer kit to make it function properly, (I haven't used that one). Easy swap and typical CZ accuracy (real good!) and a really slick trigger break and pull to boot. Only found one gopher still up after getting it in .22 Mag but at least I put it away till spring with one rat to it's credit. This is it with the CZ .22 Mag barrel on the first day I had it after I sighted it in.

"If a man buys a rifle at a gun show and his wife doesn't know it"...Did he really buy a rifle?
Firearm Philosophy 101. montdoug

Posts: 1181 | Location: Bozeman Montana | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote