New
Find
Notify
Tools

6.5X57
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Don't know much about this round, It would seem to me that this round would make an excellent deer round. I like the Mauser case and also like the 264 bullets. What could you guys tell me about his round good and bad.

Posts: 529 | Location: S.E. Oregon | Registered: 27 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
I have no first hand experience with it but it shows comparable performance with the 6.5 Swede which is a dandy in my book, I'm also a huge fan of the .257 Roberts which uses the same case.
Good luck with yours!

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Akshooter
posted Hide Post
I have a 6.5x57R that I've had nearly 20 years now but I've only shot one deer with it.

Dropped that one DRT and would say that was'nt a fluk.

As Americans we tend to view the 7x57 as a classic European deer round and it is, but most Americans would be surprised to learn that the 6.5x57 is more popular for med sized game.

DRSS
NRA life
AK Master Guide 124

Posts: 1562 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
Have owned two rifles in this round.
An excellent round for medium game. thumb
I use the RWS 127grn Cone Point.

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
definitely my favorite cartridge!

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've three friends who shoot this cartridge - one 6.5x57 rimless and the other two with 6.5x57R's. I load their cartridges.

IMO opinion a fantastic versitile cartridge. The rimmed versions call for reduced pressures; prudent advice for Single Shots, Combo Rifles & Drillings - the rimless version can take full-pressure loads in stride.

The .257 Roberts is based on the 7mm Mauser case necked down and 6.5mm with their .264" bullets much of a very similar cartridge to the .257 Roberts & 6.5 Swede.

The loads run the gamut of one who desires 120 gr. Barnes TSX's and the other two the time-tested 160 gr. Hornady Round Noses that don't have the Whizz-Bang of the lighter bullets but superior penetration.

All three of the above mentioned cartridges offer outstanding performance for use on mid-sized game IMO.

Cheers,

Number 10

Posts: 3433 | Location: Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If looking at a custom rifle, be aware that the wildcat 6.5-257 Roberts is sometimes marked as a 6.5x57 but does not match the true European 6.5x57.

Notice the longer body on the 6.5mm compared to the 7mm

Bruce

Posts: 217 | Location: SW WA | Registered: 14 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
An excellent medium game round. Very much like the 6.5X55. In my Steyr I get about 50 to 100fps more than a Sako in 6.5X55. Not a hard kicker, efficent with powder, easy on the barrel. I would not worry using the 6.5X57 for elk or black bear with proper bullets.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
It's a 6.5 and I'am sure that you will like it, I have two 6.5X55's and they work very well indeed.
6.5 SWEDE.

Posts: 185 | Location: MICHIGAN | Registered: 21 December 2005Reply With Quote