THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    223 testing results - goblins at work

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

223 testing results - goblins at work
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Pa.Frank
posted
Okay, I know I was working on my 243, but somehow the Tactical 223 found its way into my truck instead last Sunday...

I had loaded up some test loads for the Sierra 65 gr SPBT using Varget. Starting at 23.5 gr and moving up in half grain increments to 26 grains. (RP Brass, CCI BR primers, LOA 2.260)

Here is the funny thing... when I was doing my loading I miscounted the brass, so when I got to the 25.5 and 26 grain loads, I only had 6 left. So, I loaded 3 of each.
Accuracy wasn't as good as I hoped until I got to 25 grains, then it tightened up to about an inch.. But when I fired the 3 with the 25.5 charge... SAME HOLE!
Now this is really weird... the 3 with the 26 Gr load, every one of them mis-fired. All strong and centered firing pin hits, but none fired. I even re-cocked and tried a second time. Nada. All primers and brass were from the same lot and loaded on the same equipment.
I did have a few of a different load that I fired afterward, just to confirm it wasn't the rifle.
The 25.5 grain load is definitely up for additional testing, as is the 26 grain load.. Eventually!

But I think maybe I'll play with the 243 next time first! Hopefully no goblins there!

NRA Benefactor.

Life is tough... It's even tougher when you're stupid... John Wayne

Posts: 1979 | Location: The Three Lower Counties (Delaware USA) | Registered: 13 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
obviously the gun does not like the 26 grain load since it refuses to have it go off Big Grin 2020

Posts: 13461 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote