THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    Twist rate .223 1:7 vs 1:9 for 55gr

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Twist rate .223 1:7 vs 1:9 for 55gr
 Login/Join

posted
Looking at AR-15's I've notice that in Colts some have 1:7 and 1:9 twist what would be the best twist rate for factory ammo in 55gr nosler ballistic tip. Also any info on AR brands like best bang for the buck and resale value if needed. ie Colt, Bushmaster, Rock river, M&P etc.. Use's plinker, ground hog, coyote -in M4/A3 type collapse stock, removable handle add a scope...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
For 55grn bullets the plain jane 1-12" twist will serve just fine.

----------------------------------------

If you waste your time a talkin' to the people who don't listen
To the things that you are sayin' who do you thinks gonna hear
And if you should die explainin' how the thing they complain about
Or the things they could be changing who do you thinks gonna care

Waylon Jennings

Posts: 329 | Location: NW Arkansas | Registered: 19 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dr. Lou
posted Hide Post
I was just issued an M4/A3 and it is marked 1-9. It shoots 55 grainers just fine on semi or full auto. Big Grin

NRA Life Benefactor Member

Posts: 3316 | Location: USA | Registered: 15 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Collins
posted Hide Post
This is a question from the truly uninitiated...
With your M4 on 3-shot-burst. what is the BEST group you could expect at 25 yards? I'm guessing in the 5" range?

Collins
Airgunner / 458 SOCOMer/ 45-70er / 458 Lotter

www.actionairgun.com LIVE NOW

Posts: 2327 | Location: The Sunny South! St. Augustine, FL | Registered: 29 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
definatly a 1 in 9 twist for 55 grain

Posts: 41 | Location: everett,wash | Registered: 28 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of woods
posted Hide Post
I have a Bushmaster lower and a DPMS 24" barrel with a 1 in 8 twist. When I first got it I sent off for 3 boxes of bullets in different weights to see which it would shoot better:

60 gr Nosler Partition
69 gr Match King
75 gr HPBT moly coated

With the 1 in 8 twist it shot the 60 gr bullets into about 4", the 69 gr bullets into 1 1/2" and the 75 gr bullets into 1/2".

My guess would be that with a 1 in 7 twist you would have to shoot 75 to 80 gr bullets and that the 1 in 9 would be best from 60 to 70 gr bullets.

Rock River gets good review. Lewis machine is supposed to be the best. Older Colts were good. Bushmaster is OK. DPMS makes lots of options as far as barrels, calibers and actions.

Chinese Proverb: When someone shares something of value with you and you benefit from it, you have a moral obligation to share it with others.

Posts: 2750 | Location: Houston, Tx | Registered: 17 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i shoot 63 grain speer in my steyr tac elite with 1-9 twist holding 1" at 200 yards with n133