Find
Notify
Tools

22lr bullets which ones
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of mdvjrp93
posted
I like shooting my 22lr at ranges from 50 to 200 yards. My question is which manf. make the most consistent rounds.

1 shot 1 thrill

Posts: 340 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: 14 December 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
ely is #1 federal match is great, but both are expensive. i've had excellent luck with the elcheapo american eagle

Posts: 13462 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've had good luck with Winchester. In standard velocity. I've never gotten good results with the hyper velocity stuff,
YMMV

Aim for the exit hole

Posts: 4348 | Location: middle tenn | Registered: 09 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Probably Eley. Test several for accuracy and use the most accurate in YOUR rifle. Eley, Fiocchi, S&B etc most make good stuff though.

Posts: 885 | Location: Eastern Cape, South Africa | Registered: 08 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Forgot to add, Rem Subsonics when I have the suppressor on and S&B HV HP when I take it off. Both loads scary accurate.

Posts: 885 | Location: Eastern Cape, South Africa | Registered: 08 January 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of The Dane
posted Hide Post
SK Rifle Match or Lapua X-Act

Posts: 1102 | Location: Denmark | Registered: 15 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Of the "cheap" loads, I like Winchester Power Point.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Evan K.
posted Hide Post
Absolute most consistent? Eley Match or Tenex is what I'd try first, otherwise Lapua and RWS make good top-level match ammo too.

Otherwise for a few dollars less per box, Wolf MT/SK Standard + has a lot of bang for your buck.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."

Posts: 776 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 05 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You'll need to do some "trial-and-erroring" to find what works best for you.

But one generalization you ought to keep in mind: for longer distances (> 70 yards with a .22LR?) you're better off with loads that never break the sound barrier than with those that do because when a supersonic bullet slows to subsonic (it passes transonic), its stability suffers and accuracy then goes downhill.

Posts: 939 | Location: Grants Pass, OR | Registered: 24 September 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gatogordo:
Of the "cheap" loads, I like Winchester Power Point.

+1 the Winchester power point actually outshoots Eley in my kimber--now all you have to do is find some---------

"The rule is perfect: in all matters of opinion our adversaries are insane." Mark Twain
TANSTAAFL

www.savannagems.com A unique way to own a piece of Africa.

DSC Life
NRA Life

Posts: 3386 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 05 September 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Around here, it would be whatever you could find........
Winchester power point is what shoots the best out of my firearms. Good enough for prairie dogs at 150 with my Browning Buckmark!

Posts: 4214 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: 09 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Evan K.
posted Hide Post
Thankfully you can still get the good Eley stuff online as usual. While you're at it, test a handful of lots from different machines for best results.

quote:
Originally posted by B L O'Connor:
You'll need to do some "trial-and-erroring" to find what works best for you.

But one generalization you ought to keep in mind: for longer distances (> 70 yards with a .22LR?) you're better off with loads that never break the sound barrier than with those that do because when a supersonic bullet slows to subsonic (it passes transonic), its stability suffers and accuracy then goes downhill.

High velocity .22 rounds also experience more wind deflection than subsonic.

Posts: 776 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 05 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Eley Tenex or EPS.

DRSS: HQ Scandinavia. Chapters in Sweden & Norway

Posts: 2805 | Location: Denmark | Registered: 09 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Rimfire rifles can vary considerably in what ammunition they "like". I've had those which shot cheap promo ammunition virtually as well as expensive match grade ammo. You'll want to try any number of brands and types to find what your rifle likes best.

Typically, however, I've found Remington .22 ammunition to provide the poorest performance. And I'm not talking about their promo stuff, but rather the "Golden Bullet" line. It tends to jam and malfunction in many of my autos, exhibits wide variations in the intensity of the report presumably meaning commensurate velocity variations, and shows little promise on target. It is possible that I've had a bad lot, but this is from a number of years ago before the rimfire ammo shortage, so presumably is representative of their product.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've also had the poorest experience with the Remington .22 ammo. In my experience (4-5 of the 525 round boxes), approximately 1 of 100 will fail to fire. The latest box doesn't appear to be crimped properly, and will not feed through Ruger magazines into a Ruger 10/22, something that has not been a problem previously. However, that ammo shoots groups at 50 yd. from a Kimber 82G that average 3/8".

In general, I find the Aguilla target ammo is about as good as T22 or other inexpensive standard velocity ammo, but not as good as other lower-end target ammo. But, in one rifle, it performs very well.

For more serious shooting, I prefer Wolf Rifle Match or SK Standard Plus as having the best performance for the price.

Clarence

Clarence

Posts: 303 | Location: Hill Country, TX | Registered: 26 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dulltool17
posted Hide Post
For a serious target grade rifle, I doubt anything can match Eley (pun intended) Perhaps Lapua or Wolf.

Results vary, of course. My experience points to Aguilla and, believe it or not, CCI Std velocity ammo as best in my 10-22.

All have made good suggestions, but the best advice, I think, is to try several small lots of many and compare results.

Doug Wilhelmi
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7503 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 15 October 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Try some of the Norma TAC,made by Lapua?RWS? some say as good as Eley black box.

Posts: 877 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 03 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
For true target accuracy, listen to the above advice. For bunny patrol/harvesting, CCI mini-mags have been been very good !

Posts: 1991 | Location: Sinton, TX | Registered: 16 June 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of mdvjrp93
posted Hide Post
I order a box of lapua, sk, rws. Winchester. Im still looking for CCI I hope I can find some all will be in 40r so as to compare apples to apples. I plan on 50 ft, 50yards and 100yards also running them thru the crony. I will do 3 three shot groups. I will post the results on here and on long range rim fires (all three). To answer your question yes I'm retired and bored. I only have so much room in my freezers.

1 shot 1 thrill

Posts: 340 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: 14 December 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I got some CCI Green Tag, I was told it will be better in my single six. I don't know yet, wondering if anyone has any experience with it? It was medium level pricy but it was available.

Posts: 1646 | Location: Euless, TX | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Partial to CCI SV (poor man's match) for 100 yds with the 1712 and 52C bull. I know Tenex would cut that by alot, but I can't bring myself to spend 40 cents/pop.

Among HS plated bulk/boxed the Anschutz sporters seem to prefer WW 36gr 1280 fps stuff to minimags and Fed 745. My new to me 164 put 5 WWs in 7/16" at 50 on its maiden voyage last Friday = a good start.

The stock 10/22s are less accurate but less picky - do about as well with Blazer, minimags, Fed 745, and the WW (they don't feed well b/c of that honking HP).

As noted by just about everyone - guns are individual. You need to try different shells.

Sam

Posts: 670 | Location: Dover-Foxcroft, ME | Registered: 25 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Evan K.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mdvjrp93:
I order a box of lapua, sk, rws. Winchester. Im still looking for CCI I hope I can find some all will be in 40r so as to compare apples to apples. I plan on 50 ft, 50yards and 100yards also running them thru the crony. I will do 3 three shot groups. I will post the results on here and on long range rim fires (all three). To answer your question yes I'm retired and bored. I only have so much room in my freezers.

Don't forget the wind flags.

What rifle are you testing these with?

posted Hide Post
As others have said, Remington rimfire has given me little satisfaction wi8th the exception of some old Standard Velocity I've had on hand for many years, and some newer Subsonic I tried more recently.

For budget ammo, American Eagle Hollow Point has done quite well. Federal Auto Match has been good in several rifles also. They tend to be just a bit inconsistent compared to higher priced stuff.

SK Rifle Match and Wolf Match Target are usually good too.

When I acquire a new rimfire I am always hopeful that the less expensive stuff will shoot well, and it usually does okay. Sometimes it's remarkable, such as was the case with a Remington 541-T I once had. It LOVED American Eagle HPs.

I've got a repro Winchester 52 that even likes Remington Yellow Jacket somewhat. Rimfire rifles can be unpredictable as to their ammo preferences.

Life Member Gun Owners of America
Life Member National Rifle Association
Life Member Texas State Rifle Association
Life Member of Fraternity Who Swore to Defend the Constitution from All Enemies, Foreign and Domestic

Posts: 1 | Location: Somewhere in North Texas | Registered: 04 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I may be wrong but iirc I think Saeed did some extensive testing on the .22 site a couple of years ago. Or would that be spoiling the fun Smiler jc

Posts: 1138 | Registered: 24 September 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
MDVJ, As John Chalmers posted, the Saeed test is really worth looking at. It is very indepth. I think everyone could learn from it.
stockdoc

Posts: 35 | Location: Paris America | Registered: 19 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lal:
Forgot to add, Rem Subsonics when I have the suppressor on and S&B HV HP when I take it off. Both loads scary accurate.

Remington Subsonics are spooky accurate in my Kimber. But good luck finding any right now.

LWD

Posts: 2104 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 16 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was lucky enough to get my hands on some of the new Remington Golden Bullet. I bought a bucket of it, 1400 rounds. My CZ shoots it very well, some of the other rifles in the club shoot it very well also. I hear that Remington has spent a considerable amount of time and R&D funds to eliminate fail to fire and inconsistent velocities. I'm not blowing Remington's horn at all as I have shot some of the worst sh-- you could even call ammo that was Remington. But, it appears this new stuff is much better than the old.. stuff was, is.

Posts: 1016 | Location: Happy Valley, Utah | Registered: 13 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
As a rule, the more costly the rimfire ammunition, the better it shoots. Within price bands, you have to test. Very inexpensive, over the counter at Walmart rim fire ammunition, you should have no expectations other than it goes bang. However, once you get into real match ammunition, Lapua, RWS, Eley, results can be shuffled in strange ways. Match ammunition is made on the same production lines by the same people, but sorted out into different packaging at the end of the line after testing. The more expensive ammunition shot the best in the factory test equipment. Higher priced ammunition often shoots best in your rifle, but not necessarily, over a lesser price lot by the same manufacturer. I am often surprised by how well the lower price match ammunition shoots, but I am of the opinion that in the long run, the higher priced stuff will be more consistent.

Also, you have to test. Match rimfire ammunition varies by lot and shoots differently in different rifles. There is no guarantee that the lot that shoots best in rifle A will also shoot best in rifle B.

Two hundred yards is a long way to shoot a rimfire. You better be a good wind reader.

one of us
posted Hide Post
My experience was that past 100 yds the 22 lr accuracy took a dive.

I was able to finally find a brand that gave me 5 @ 1.25" at 200 yds.
Most were well over 2" @ 200yds.

But to get there l tried quite a few brands before l found that one.

That rifle would do .5" or better at 100 yds. IIRc that was with a 4x16 scope mounted.
Ymmv...

Posts: 434 | Location: Wetcoast | Registered: 31 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
my 1022 custom shoots the federal bulk ammo in the 550-525 boxes into the same hole at 40 yards.....

DEMOCRAT OR AMERICAN... CHOOSE WISELY..............................

One of Us
Picture of mdvjrp93
posted Hide Post
Sorry Evan I have been out of touch I'm using a SR22 (ruger)

1 shot 1 thrill

One of Us
Picture of mdvjrp93
posted Hide Post
I didn't know that we had a rimfire thread I should have posted there. I will check out Saeed's test. This is as much for my grandson home schooling. It'll be a science project for him.

1 shot 1 thrill

One of Us
Picture of Evan K.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Sorry Evan I have been out of touch I'm using a SR22 (ruger)

Then you may want to consider match ammo loaded especially for handguns like SK Pistol Match Special and Eley Match/Tenex Pistol and OSP.

For the sake of the science experiment, don't forget the scientific process during your testing. Maybe a basic yet interesting hypothesis could be higher price means higher performance? Shooting at multiple ranges could wring out some interesting results but seems unnecessary too vs. shooting more rounds at just one fixed range for a larger test sample size. I'd shoot an entire box per test, since there can be so much variation within just one group of 50 rounds!

One of Us
Picture of mdvjrp93
posted Hide Post
Evan I have the R22 rifle. The reason for different ranges is to see the difference in ballistics with different speeds. All will be checked at the target and against a program. The biggest part for him is to gather the facts and put them into a report that makes sense of the standard deviation of both groups and speed.

1 shot 1 thrill

one of us
Picture of Duckear
posted Hide Post
Buy as many varieties of standard velocity target and match .22 ammo as you can find and go with trial and error if you want to find 'the best' ammo for YOUR rifle.

I think all the major players make consistent target and match grade ammo. Which one is best for your rifle is what you need to find.

Hunting: Exercising dominion over creation at 2800 fps.

Posts: 3108 | Location: Southern US | Registered: 21 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Evan K.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Evan I have the R22 rifle. The reason for different ranges is to see the difference in ballistics with different speeds. All will be checked at the target and against a program. The biggest part for him is to gather the facts and put them into a report that makes sense of the standard deviation of both groups and speed.

What program are you using? Sounds good, have fun.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think you just have to try some to know. But Eley and those expensive ammos have been winning a long time.

While I don't generally recommend Remington , in this case the Remington 22 Golden bullets HPs in the 50 count green and yellow box have been the go to 22 ammo for me for 40 years. Much or most of it I have had shoots great in a variety of 22s.

Having said that, and while it makes no sense and I can't prove it , I think there is somehow a difference in the cardboard boxed Remington ammo and the 525 round bulk packs. How or why I can't say. I too have had inconsistency and many more misfires and failure to feed etc with that bulk Remington ammo. And that very rarely happens to me with the boxed 22 ammo.

A week or so ago with my wife spotting for me with my older Winchester 75 target and its Redfield 3200 scope I flew 5 shots of the Federal target 22s into one cut out and elongated hole so that is pretty good too.

Posts: 1440 | Location: Houston, Texas USA | Registered: 16 January 2005Reply With Quote