New
Find
Notify
Tools

Savage 340d
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
My father in law just gave us his grandfather's Savage model 340d, in .222 Rem. It has a weaver side mount and Weaver scope, K4 60-c.

The serial number ends in 66, could that be a date code?
Anybody know anything about these rifles? I never heard of a model 340d. Were they especialy accurate, or inaccurate?

Is the weaver side mount ok? Is there any other option? Anybody reload for one of these?

Thanks

Posts: 582 | Location: Western PA, USA | Registered: 04 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Stoney,

You are correct on the Savage 340 in 22 Hornet also. I have seen several. I have owned a 340 in 30/30 which I gave to someone as a present who really wanted it, then sold it to buy some stuff for his car, which pissed me off a lot.

I bought a second one off of a friend for a gift for another friends 14 yr old daughter in Montana, in 222 Rem. It is a tack driver. It has a side mount scope set up and the trigger pull is half as hard as a car spring and then is as mushy as a marshmellow before it goes off. However it is a tackdriver on prairie dogs at 200 to 250 yds. I paid $100.00 for it two years ago, including some long forgotten Mid 1960s version of an el cheapo scope.

cheers and good shooting
seafire

Posts: 2889 | Location: Southern OREGON | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote