THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    I finally found a nice 250-3000

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I finally found a nice 250-3000
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I had a Savage model 99 takedown that I bought a few years ago.It shot like a shotgun very nice 40 yard patterns.I wanted a Ruger RSI but they are few and far inbetween in 250-3000.I looked this morning and there was an early Ruger 77 MarkI in 250-3000 .It has the 1 in 10 " rifling instead of the 1in 14 " the savage 99 had.I wanted a small rifle for my girlfriend to learn to shoot with.I usually just neck up 22-250 brass unless I can find some 250 savage brass.This is an awesome little gun.I passed one up a few years back for $450 .The one I bought is like new with less than 40 rounds through it.I hope it can shoot the 115 gr Nosler Partitions.I might see about changing out the magazine box so that I can seat the bullets out as far as I can.I already have dies,brass ,bullets and ammo.This old Ruger came with a Leopold 3x9 varix II also.Its ready to roll.I might try to find a figerglass stock to fit it if I can.I like the old calibers alot better than the new ones.If you look at old winchester 250-3000 they fetch a very high price.Its a classic old caliber that I would love to see some new guns in.I havbe to work up some loads and get it ready for my girlfriend.

Posts: 2543 | Registered: 21 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Good luck with it, and I agree that the old ones are more...fun! In case it doesn't shoot the 115's well do not dispair...Nosler makes the 100 grain Partition too, and deer aren't going to know the difference. Just rebuilt a Rem 700 SA from .22-250 to the Savage, couldn't be happier!

Based on limited experience with the 99, it's poor shooting might be due to a worn bore, but It might also be because the barrel/receiver union is not tight. In either case it is worth sorting out. If the barrel is worn look at the bright side...you get to put one on with the proper twist! Big Grin

If yuro'e corseseyd and dsyelixc can you siltl raed oaky?

Posts: 9647 | Location: Yankeetown, FL | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The twist on the old savage was one in 14".It was also an old Kangroo Gun from Australia ,it had history.I think the Ruger will be just what I was looking for.I wanted a full stock Ruger but I could not find one under $900.I had a fullstock Ruger 22-250 it was accurate but it was no faster than a 223 with a 18" barrel.I almost had it rebored.I been looking for a good 250-3000 for about 25 years.I will try about every bullet I can find till I get the right ones.I have some 120 gr Remington core locks also.I will try some 100 gr factory loads too.

Posts: 2543 | Registered: 21 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have one just like it, except someone had put a Timney trigger in it before I got it. Great gun! I've not tried the 115 Partitions, but the 100 Hornady flat base at about 2750 is a very dependable deer load. The small case just doesn't have the capacity to make the 120's fast enough to overshadow the 100's in my book.The 75 Sierra hp or 75 V-Max will both shoot like a dream in my rifle. This gun seems to like the quicker powders, and Varget is my go to flavor. Brass isn't that hard to come by. I've gotten it in W-W bags from Midway, Grafs, and a couple of others. They are all out of stock from time to time though.

Posts: 339 | Location: SE Kansas | Registered: 05 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Shoot any 100gr bulet in front of some RL 15 or N160VV and you will be able to make clean kills on deer to 400 yards. Put a 75gr V-max and some RL 15 and no varmint is safe to the same distance and beyond.

Posts: 869 | Location: N Dakota | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If it doesn't shoot the bullets that you want to shoot fast enough, it is an easy rechamber to 25-284.

Jeff

Posts: 993 | Location: Omaha, NE, USA | Registered: 11 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had good luck with a Savage 99EG shooting 60 grain hollow points at Woodchucks and other such varmints back in the 1970s. Was a real dinger of a rifle, as long as the bullets were light.

LLS

Posts: 996 | Location: Texas | Registered: 14 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of HunterJim
posted Hide Post
I have a Ruger M77 (tang safety) in .250 Savage too, and it is a very nice, trim rifle.

I would try the lighter bullets, and use premiums to get good velocity and penetration.

jim

if you're too busy to hunt,you're too busy.

Posts: 4166 | Location: San Diego, CA USA | Registered: 14 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a Savage 99A and had a Ruger 77 in .250-3000. Both have 1-10" twists and both shot Nosler 115 Partitions very well. The Ruger had an oversized chamber, and cases that had been fired in it would forever stick in the Savage, so it went.

The Savage is here to stay. I can't think of a better deer rifle. I'm a leftie so lever suits me better than bolt. The 115 grain bullets group about 1.25" and 75 grain varmint loads do a bit better.

It is a good citizen's duty to love the country and hate the gubmint.

Posts: 1570 | Location: Base of the Blue Ridge | Registered: 04 November 2002Reply With Quote