THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    Is it unusual for a 223 1-9 to........

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Is it unusual for a 223 1-9 to........
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Is it unusual for a 223 with a 1-9 twist barrel to NOT stabilize Federal GMM 69gr BTHP?

I do not have pictures because the range would not let me remove targets and I left phone at home. I was hoping to shoot the 69gr Federal GMM or maybe the 60gr Nosler partition in my CZ Royal. The first shot looked HUGE, but I decided to shoot a few more and see what would happen. Sure enough when I went down range they were tumbling before hitting the paper. I'll try some lighter bullets next.

I thought the longer bullets like 69gr would stabilize in a 1-9. I will continue my search for the perfect load. Maybe 62gr or 60gr will work?

We Band of Bubbas
N.R.A Life Member
TDR Cummins Power All The Way
Certified member of the Whompers Club

Posts: 2973 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 15 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
We just discussed this in another thread:

The M16-A1 had a 1:12" twist and was designed to shoot 55gr military ammunition. The M16-A2 came out with a 1:7" twist and was designed to shoot 62gr military ammunition. The 62gr (M855) military ammunition is long for its weight because it contains a steel core and less lead. It is about as long as a 69gr match bullet. The 1:7" twist is marginally okay with the 55gr military bullets but the 1:12" twist does poorly with 62gr military bullets. Again, this was based around military ammunition.

Civilian rifles started being offered in 1:9" twist so they could do a decent job with both 55gr and 62gr ammunition. Today, most match shooters are using heavier civilian ammunition with 69gr-77gr bullets that require a 1:7" twist. But match ammunition can be found in other weights, including some with 52gr bullets.

So, in general:
1:12" twist best for light bullets of 50gr to 55gr
1:9" twist best for bullets of 55gr to 62gr
1:8" twist best for bullets of 62gr to 69gr
1:7" twist best for bullets of 69gr to 77gr

Individual bullets and rifles vary. The HPBT bullets from Hornady in 68gr and Sierra in 69gr (in your Federal ammo) are long bullets for the weight. People have varying success with those in a 1:9" barrel, again depending on the individual rifle. Since your rifle doesn't appear to "like" the 69gr ammo, I suggest you try the lighter bullets you mentioned.

Posts: 10900 | Location: North of the Columbia | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
69gn bullets are the upper limit for a 1 in 9" barrel but they should stabilize. They may need a little more powder than Federal is offering in that load.

Like Grenadier said, it maybe that particular bullet.

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sounds like you are looking for a hunting load for your .223. The Nosler 60 grain Partition will work fine, but Nosler has recently introduced a 64 grain bonded bullet (it doesn't have the polymer tip so it is not labelled "Accubond"). I picked up some recently off of their website as "overruns" and they shot excellent groups in a 1-14" .22-250. They have a slightly blunted nose, so they are pretty short for a 64 grain .224" bullet and should stabilize in just about any barrel. I haven't seen any terminal results from them, but would assume that they act much like an Accubond at impact.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you. Very informative. I deal mostly with much bigger calibers.

Yes, I am looking for a hunting load. That said I am a brain-pan shooter. I won't attempt heart/lung shots with this caliber unless its a pig or varmint.

We Band of Bubbas
N.R.A Life Member

Posts: 2973 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 15 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yep 69grain "should" stabilize in a 1-9 twist. I shoot a bunch of 69G SMKs in my rifles and they do well.....

Posts: 42345 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
drew

I had great load in my Kevlar CZ 223 with 60gr Vmax and 23 gr of Benchmark. FS

Posts: 698 | Location: Edmonton Alberta | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
drewhenrytnt--Certainly not trying to change your opinion. Many years ago, I would have thought the same. Heavy bullets, premium bullets and only a head shot and still a big maybe using a .224. Those were my thoughts before I saw it done, many times. I can assure you that a .223 with plain old cup and core 55 grainer through the boiler room is a bang flop deal.

Posts: 3811 | Location: san angelo tx | Registered: 18 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted Hide Post
In my experience yes it is unusual... My 1 in 9 Colt AR's have had no trouble with 77 grain Sierra's.

Member NRA, SCI- Life #358 28+ years now!
DRSS, double owner-shooter since 1983, O/U .30-06 Browning Continental set.

Posts: 3611 | Location: LV NV | Registered: 22 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A 1-9 .223 should stabilize a 69 gr. bullet. If it is the Sierra 69 gr. bullet it only measures 0.900" long. My Ruger 77 Hawkeye with 1-9 twist stabilizes the Hornady 75 A-Max which is 1.105" long (though this includes the plastic tip).

I hope you won't be offended if I ask, are you sure your rifle has a 1-9 twist?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Positive it is 1-9.

We Band of Bubbas
N.R.A Life Member

One of Us
Picture of Rub Line
posted Hide Post
I don't believe a 1:9 twist would have a problem stabilizing 69 grain bullets.

-----------------------------------------------------

Do not answer a fool according to his folly, or you yourself will be just like him. Proverbs 26-4

National Rifle Association Life Member

Posts: 1992 | Location: WI | Registered: 28 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
"Positive it is 1-9."

Well, then we have to look elsewhere. The best predictor of stability I've found is from JBM ballistics. Here's the link:

http://www.jbmballistics.com/cgi-bin/jbmstab-5.1.cgi

Twist and bullet length are two of the factors, others in the formula are bullet weight, muzzle velocity, ambient temperature and air pressure. Recently they added length of plastic bullet tip (if present) to the formula.

Try plugging your numbers into the formula and see what it predicts. If you don't know your bullet length JBM also has a web page listing length of hundreds of bullets, or you could just measure a bullet if you have a caliper.

The resulting number from the formula displays in red (not stable), green (stable) or yellow ("on the bubble"). My 75 A-Max/1-9 twist is in the bubble zone but in my rifles it works, at least at an elevation of 1,700 ft. and temperatures of 55 - 60F. I suspect on a subzero day the bullets would not stabilize but haven't tried it yet.

I've found this formula to agree with my actual shooting results - but as your experience shows, bullet holes in paper are what matter.

one of us
Picture of Jerry Eden
posted Hide Post
If you say the bullets are tumbling before they reach the paper. I assume this is @ 100yds. I'd slug the bore. Tumbling usually point to another problem besides twist. Could it be an oversize bore, or undersize bullets? I'd look there, and then try some other brand of 69 grain bullets as a test. JMO

Jerry

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 1297 | Location: Chandler arizona | Registered: 29 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of scottfromdallas
posted Hide Post
My Savage is 1 in 9 twist and it will stabilize everything up to and including 75 grain Hornady HPs.

Posts: 1941 | Location: Texas | Registered: 19 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
IP

Ignored post by
scottfromdallas
posted
document.write('<nobr>'+ myTimeZone('Fri, 20 Dec 2013 16:42:14 GMT-0800', '21 December 2013 04:42')+'</nobr>');21 December 2013 04:4221 December 2013 04:42Show Post
ignoreMessage('6841052591', '3271014311');