THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    Twist rate for .223 Rem. Model 700

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Twist rate for .223 Rem. Model 700
 Login/Join

Picture of highck
posted
Does anyone know what the twist rate is for the Model 700 in .223 Remington. The reason I'm wondering is because a friend of mine got one and we can't get it do group very good with 55 grain factory loads and I'm wondering if this is the wrong bullet weight?
Any info or help is appreciated.

Posts: 15 | Location: Livermore, CO | Registered: 20 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
1:12 - at least for the overwhelming majority of M700 products. Somebody recently claimed a particular M700 model XXX (I forget) had a different twist rate - maybe 1:10?? In any event, either twist rate should be fine for 55 grs bullets.
- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes, all else being equil, the rifle probably just doesn't like that ammo, esp. if it is FMJ mil type stuff.

It's easy to measure your twist rate. Get your cleaning rod with a firm patch/brush and push it well down the bore. (Don't reverse a good bronze brush). Anyway mark the rod at a point abeam some part of the action. Pull it out one turn of your mark and make another.
If it's 12" between marks, there you go.
1 in 12 should do to 60gr. Try different ammo.

Posts: 2355 | Location: Australia | Registered: 14 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Bore Boar Hunter
posted Hide Post
My 700 has a 1:12 twist. 52 gr group 1 hole, and 55 gr won't go under an inch. I would agree a 1:12 should handle 60 grainers, but for some reason, they don't.

John

Posts: 1343 | Location: Northern California | Registered: 15 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
All 223 Remington Model 700s are 1/12, except the 700PSS, which is 1/9.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Big Bore Boar Hunter:
My 700 has a 1:12 twist. 52 gr group 1 hole, and 55 gr won't go under an inch. I would agree a 1:12 should handle 60 grainers, but for some reason, they don't.

John

Don't forget the length of the bullet has a lot to do with it, so a 60gr Ballistic tip may be woeful, 60gr Hornady softs give acceptable
accuracy in my 1 in 12 (for larger game)

Posts: 2355 | Location: Australia | Registered: 14 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of holzauge
posted Hide Post
My VS Composite is 1 in 12". I don't reload so I've tried about a dozen factory loads from 40 to 62 gr.s. The gun shoots all 50 grain factory ammo well and the 50 gr. Ultramax very well indeed (avg. @1/2"). It wouldn't do better than 1.5 inchs with 52 gr.s and liked heavier bullets even less. It didn't like 40 grain stuff much either. I'm hunting eastern groundhogs and the occasional unlucky coyote almost always inside 350 yards. I'm sure really accurate 50 gr. ballistic tip bullets will be better than heavier less accurate ones.

Sei wach!

Posts: 621 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: 06 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
we can't get it do group very good with 55 grain factory loads

I'd try a different powder on handloading or else try a different 55 grain bullet.. ANY 223 should shoot a DECENT 55 grain bullet....

If you are buying cheap factory loads with 55 grain FMJs, then I would not expect them to shoot like a varmint grade accurate rifle, unless you are lucky....

As Holzauge suggests.. I think a 223 is best served with a 50 grain and under bullet with a one in 12 twist...with the exception of the 52 and 53 grain Match bullets....

good luck,
cheers
seafire
cheers

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Seafire has it right.

ANY .223 SHOULD group 55gr.

Usually, 55gr is the breaking point of bullet weights. Either heavier, or lighter.

Check that twist rate. Then if you can't find a chart, call a barrel maker and ask what bullet weight should shoot best in this twist.

Good luck,

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 6019 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My 700VSSF in 223Rem shoots even cheap (Winchester FMJ)
bullets real well (Well enough to be able to make "smiley faces" out of 1" target dots @100yds),

but out of a dozen 62gr SS109 factory loads send downrange to the 100yd target NONE found the
2'x2' square of cardboard my target was mounted to.

at 200yds you could see where they were going, 2ft right 2ft low, then 3ft left 1ft low then 4feet right 1ft low, etc...

three of those at the 200yd target stand was enough....

AllanD

If I provoke you into thinking then I've done my good deed for the day!
Those who manage to provoke themselves into other activities have only themselves to blame.

*We Band of 45-70er's*

35 year Life Member of the NRA

NRA Life Member since 1984

Posts: 4601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 21 March 2005Reply With Quote