THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    Which bullet & load for predators ?

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Which bullet & load for predators ?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Abob
posted
Here is my conundrum in selecting the best bullet & load for predator hunting where you want to save the hide:

a. you can use a FMJ or solid but if you don't anchor him, the quarry can run off and you have a long tracking job

b. you can use a varmint bullet but if it doesn't blow up inside it will leave a big hole on exist and a big sewing job

c. you can use a good old C&C bullet and take your chances

d. finally, is it the bullet or velocity that is most important in predator loads (if lower velocity is the secret, slower is counter intuitive to accuracy & long range shots)

Any thoughts?

Jim

fur, feathers, & meat in the freezersalute
"Pass it on to your kids"

Posts: 822 | Location: Palmer, Alaska | Registered: 22 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What chamberings are we talking about here?

I tend to think that a .223 running a 50-60 grain varmint bullet is about the best coyote medicne there is. Doesn't blow the dogs apart like my .243 or .25-06, who needs 3500+ fps to make a DRT kill on a yote. Plus the .223 has enough range to reach 300+ yards no problem.

My old stand by bullet is the Seirra 60 grain HP varminter. I've had fewer exit wounds with this combo than any other bullet I've tried. Other things I try for is frontal chest shots If the bullet has to travel the length of the coyote I'm less likely to get an exit.

One of Us
Picture of Abob
posted Hide Post
taylorce1

257 Roberts AI

Posts: 822 | Location: Palmer, Alaska | Registered: 22 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Speer 55 gr TNT at around 3000fps in my 223 works great.

Posts: 509 | Location: Flathead county Montana | Registered: 28 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gumboot458
posted Hide Post
I think the hard pard is not wrecking a fox or lynx .... I,m going to take a chance with TSX in the 223 , but I,m useing Barnes solids in the 243 .... It would be nice to have a temp ( extreme cold temp ) stable load that was 3000 fps or a little less .... If the TSX don,t work there are plenty of fmj,s available for the 223 .. Problem is the 243 .... For wolf the 95 gr Swift Sirroco may be the best bullet .????????? So far my 243 likes the 100 gr Rem CoreLokt , better than the load I,ve tried with the Barnes solids ....

.If it can,t be grown , its gotta be mined ....

Posts: 3445 | Location: Copper River Valley , Prudhoe Bay , and other interesting locales | Registered: 19 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In sweden in 6,6*55 or 308w blunt nose fmj for fox ex. lapua fmj cutting edge. We also use target bullets like lapua scenar and berger vld for fox and capercallie/grouse. For beaver i use sierra varminter 110g .30cal.

Posts: 3611 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 02 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Steve Latham
posted Hide Post
Foxes on our patch get served up A-max 52gn/40gn Nosler BT's @ 3400fps at muzzle, .223 Rem, both combo's over Vit N133 24.8 gns or Benchmark @ 25.6gns, 300yds+ one hole in, no exit, everything inside sounds like a washing machine on rinse cycle when picked up. Cool

Posts: 683 | Location: Chester UK, Home city of the Green collars. | Registered: 14 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Abob
posted Hide Post
Mike, I'm not worried, just have an inquiring mind

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Any bullet any caliber you can put into their eye at 500 Yd. works for me .

.204 .222 .223 22/250 .243 Pick one then practice until you can't do it wrong .

Don't forget the Ultra whistle , blow it just before setting the shot ,they always turn and then BANG !.

Solving problems where ever I see them . archer

Posts: 4485 | Location: Planet Earth | Registered: 17 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Abob, in a .257 AI I'd try to keep the MV down to 3000 fps or less and use a 75 grain varmint bullet. Or the Berger VLD 115 grain bullet, those tend to not exit on anything. You should be able to find an accurate reduced load that will be accurate out to 300+ yards for your rifle.

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
I used FMJ in my 22-250 loaded down but I would lose one now and then. After I had a Jack Rabbit sit and take a hit and not move I was ready to shoot again before he fell over. Went to fast moving BT normally not much damage to the hide but mush on the insides.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Abob
posted Hide Post
Thanks Paul, you know this has been my pet project for over a year now

Thanks to you & Seafire I think I'm getting close

Jim

One of Us
Picture of Slowpoke Slim
posted Hide Post
Abob,

Are we talking coyotes, or foxes and bobcats? I've used the 75 gr Vmax in my Roberts for coyotes, and it was usually fine. I don't think I would recommend that bullet for foxes or bobcats though. I also used the old Berger 110 gr MEF bullets for longer range and they worked great. Sadly that bullet is no longer made.

I agree that keeping the velocity down will help.

Si tantum EGO eram dimidium ut bonus ut EGO memor

Posts: 1146 | Location: Bismarck, ND | Registered: 31 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Abob
posted Hide Post
Slim, there are places I hunt that hold all three, although our cat season - lynx- is only a month long

Jim

One of Us
Picture of MickinColo
posted Hide Post
Abob,

There’s an old saying that goes “you can’t get there from here”. Why are you trying to make a “pelt gun” out of a 25-caliber rifle? Its too much bullet for that. FMJs may work just fine where some people hunt but not in the cattle country where I hunt. Skip a FMJ over the hill and hit a breed cow? You’ll find out real quick how popular you are with the local ranchers.

I’m not trying to be an A-hole here but I would think that you could find a better tool for the job. Other than that, live with the limitation (pelt damage) of your choice of weapon. I may be wrong but I don’t think you’ll ever be truly happy with the results of a 25 caliber.

Posts: 2650 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 15 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Abob
posted Hide Post
Mike, don't disagree with anything you said, my 223 is a much better choice but my son gets to carry it

plus I'm looking for a 2nd life for my Bob, its kind of limited here in Alaska unless you are in the Mtns chasing sheep, ran into too many bears while hunting caribou with it

One of Us
Picture of MickinColo
posted Hide Post
Abob,

You and I have no problems. Just don’t bring those 257 FMJs down to my hunting area. Big Grin

Posts: 2650 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 15 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Abob
posted Hide Post
roger Mike, the real reason for my post was to use the word "conundrum", I always wanted to use it in a sentence beer

Jim

One of Us
Picture of MickinColo
posted Hide Post
quote:
conundrum

LOL have a good night. Smiler

One of Us
Picture of TEANCUM
posted Hide Post
I've shot a lot of coyotes with a variety of calibers and learned that shot placement is critical to retain a good hide.

If you hit a shoulder blade or hit joint and create secondary bone fragments, those fragments become missiles and it's like shooting a shotgun at close range. Exit holes can be 6" in diameter.

Posts: 1788 | Location: IDAHO | Registered: 12 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gumboot458
posted Hide Post
A Bob . I know Barnes makes a Sptz Bt Banded solid for the 25 ....... I,m useing them in my 243 . But useing fmj bt in my 223 . Those and TSX I wonder if the 100 gr Core-lokt .243 would open up at all in a fox ? they arn,t quite going 3000 fps in my Ruger SS VT 2989 fps to be exact . But I have a load for the Barnes pushing it , the 75 gr solid @ 3050 fps avg ............

.If it can,t be grown , its gotta be mined ....

Posts: 3445 | Location: Copper River Valley , Prudhoe Bay , and other interesting locales | Registered: 19 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A cousin swears by his 17 Remington...one little hole on the near side and one dead 'yote.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
selecting the best bullet & load for predator hunting where you want to save the hide:

Ditto.

MAYBE the .204 too.

Posts: 1615 | Location: South Western North Carolina | Registered: 16 September 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
The .257/90gr Barnes solid is an option if still in production...gotta think it was made as a pelt round. Not gunna expand, should pencil in and out if worried about hides. Better shoot straight though or you are going to have runnersFrowner (and dead cows?! ) Along the lines of what TEANCUM noted, if you can drive a .257/75gr Vmax fast enuff AND avoid heavy bone you have a chance of it not exiting....would be easier to do that at longer ranges in a 25-06 though?

Ever try the flat nosed 60 to 75 grain bullets made for 25-20 and 25-35?

I tried them with TrailBoss in 25-06...seemed to come apart fast at low velocities....held together well at 3500+ too...til they hit something Smiler

Best,
Mark

Posts: 14 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: 20 May 2004Reply With Quote