Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Lighter .223 rifle
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
plainsdrifter:

How do you like that 700 LVSF in .22-250?

Posts: 380 | Location: America the Beautiful | Registered: 23 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I was out at the range shooting my VS today with a different powder - H335 instead of Win 748 which I have generally been satified with and shot for about 7-8 years. The gun performed extremely well. It was cold here in Ohio and even shooting with gloves on it (I-perhaps had something to do with it) was shooting cloverleafs at 100 yards. I discussed my quest for a lighter rifle with the friend with whom I was shooting today. He's a tough and practicle guy. He suggested that since the gun performed so well, but I felt it was too heavy, I should lift some weights, do a little cardio, train holding the rifle and get used to it - change myself rather than the gun. Probably less costly and more satisfying than a quest for the perfect gun. Might even add years to my life to get in sufficient physical condition that I don't mind the extra weight. If I see something that fits my bill for a great .223 soon, I might buy it. Otherwise, I'm hitting the gym in the meantime.

Posts: 135 | Location: Dayton, OH | Registered: 11 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
This is not exactly on the subject but after reading about the barrel heating up I have a question?
I bought a Savage 10 fp in 223 this summer,It has a 24 in bull barrel,nd it doesn't start grouping good till the barrel gets warm,There is a lady that has one in a 26 in barrel and she says her is the same way.Is this typical with the savage? or do we have another problem? Am including a pic shooting @ 200 yds with a clean barrel so you can see how the groups get tighter as the barrel heats up.
Anyone with thoughts on how get it to shoot without heating up the barrel.

Posts: 508 | Location: Newton,NC,USA | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
KuduKing,Id,definitely give it a thumbs up.
I too am a user of its heavier big brother the VSSF so I do find adjustments are necessary using any lighter rifle in a coyote calling situation.
Accuracy proved excellent with my first trip to range without further load workup.Bolt tight and works very smooth.I shoot off a backpack and the flat forend design works well for stability and stock has a comfortable feel for offhand as well.The sporter barrel contour verses the pencil type does not heat up as readily and like the additional length as well.
Dont mean to go overboard but will say I reallly like it and will probobly go with some of the other calibers at a later date.For what it worth I would see it as a good transition rifle from heavy to lightweight.

Posts: 135 | Location: N.D | Registered: 17 January 2003Reply With Quote