THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    Price Check on a Marlin 322 in .222 Remington

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Price Check on a Marlin 322 in .222 Remington
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
My local dealer has done it to me again. I stopped in for a hunting license, asked Ray if he had anything interesting and up pops a Marlin 322 in .222 Remington. It's in decent condition, the usual handling marks on the wood, some light freckling on the barrel (most of which would clean up with some OOOO steel wool and a little gun oil). For those of you wondering what the heck it is, it's a bolt action repeater built on the small SAKO action and barreled by Marlin. This particular one comes with a SAKO rear peep sight and factory front sight with hood. Other than the freckling, the bluing is 95% or better. Bore looks perfect and there's very little wear on any of the parts that rub against one another.

So, what's it worth? Asking is $425 and the immediate offer of $350 was refused. It's a consignment gun.

As an aside, I have a set of SAKO factory rings sitting in a drawer, brand new in the box, so the biggest expense of scoping this (other than the scope I'll have to find) is dealt with.

Thanks for your help.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
A shop here had one priced at $600, no peep.

It sold.

Bruce

Posts: 217 | Location: SW WA | Registered: 14 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
$350 seems more in line with the condition that you have described.

FWIW, the Marlin 322s have a poor accuracy reputation, earned or not, because of the micro-grooved barrels. The 322s were dropped in favor of the lighter contour and standard rifled 422s. Neither the 322, nor the 422, sold very many units, around 6200+/-, and Marlin didn't catalog them for too long. I've had both styles and wish that I hadn't sold the 422, but never thought twice about letting go of the 322s. I have heard that the last 322 that I had, SN 216xx, was made into a switch-barrel gun with custom barrels in 17 Rem and 223 in addition to the original barrel in 222 by its current owner. I traded it even up for a nice custom 1908 Brazilian DWM Mauser in 338-08 and figured that I came out a little ahead of the deal.

Jeff

Posts: 993 | Location: Omaha, NE, USA | Registered: 11 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i don't think i'd pay any more than what i'd pay for the action

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 260remguy:
$350 seems more in line with the condition that you have described.

FWIW, the Marlin 322s have a poor accuracy reputation, earned or not, because of the micro-grooved barrels. The 322s were dropped in favor of the lighter contour and standard rifled 422s. Neither the 322, nor the 422, sold very many units, around 6200+/-, and Marlin didn't catalog them for too long. I've had both styles and wish that I hadn't sold the 422, but never thought twice about letting go of the 322s. I have heard that the last 322 that I had, SN 216xx, was made into a switch-barrel gun with custom barrels in 17 Rem and 223 in addition to the original barrel in 222 by its current owner. I traded it even up for a nice custom 1908 Brazilian DWM Mauser in 338-08 and figured that I came out a little ahead of the deal.

Jeff

I believe Jeff is correct. I read that the Marlin .222 Remington barrels had a 1-in16" twist instead of the regular 1-in-14" twist. I am not certain but I think the Sako rifles (Early ones) also used a 1-in16" twist.

David

Posts: 332 | Location: Backwoods Of Kentucky | Registered: 18 September 2005Reply With Quote