Find
Notify
Tools

Should I buy?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Tyler Kemp
posted
I have a chance to buy an older Remington 700. I can remember everything except if it was a "classic", "bdl", etc. The stock was in excellent condition and had the little black grip cap seperated by a layer of white on the grip. The end of the forend was a lighter wood, maybe rosewood if this helps decipher what this gun is exactly.

Anyways on to the specifics:
Remington 700

Shilen 257 WBY barrel, pretty heavy but had a taper, also appeared to be unfired but I'm not sure.

Pretty good trigger job

I thought the base looked like it tilted up, maybe a 20 MOA base? The brand started with B, maybe Broehen or something like that?

Leupold Vari-X-III 6.5x20x40 with target knobs and sunshade

Leather sling

For $850.

Is this a good deal? What is the scope worth, what is the gun worth, and what are they worth together? I only want to buy the gun and take the scope off, then hopefully sell the gun at a good price, it looks like it has never been hunted with, but the stock looks "old".

Love shooting precision and long range. Big bores too!

Recent college grad, started a company called MK Machining where I'm developing a bullpup rifle chassis system.

Posts: 2598 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 29 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tyler Kemp
posted Hide Post
Also, after looking at Vari-X-IIIs online, this one appears to be older, it is 6.5x20x40 if I had to guess on objective size. The lettering on it is a different font, and the finish is gloss.

Recent college grad, started a company called MK Machining where I'm developing a bullpup rifle chassis system.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hard to beat a Shilen and the 257 is just about a death ray. Sound like good package if it fits you.

“I am an American; free born and free bred, where I acknowledge no man as my superior,
except for his own worth, or as my inferior, except for his own demerit.”
Theodore Roosevelt (1858 – 1919)

Posts: 240 | Location: texas | Registered: 05 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
sure sounds like a good deal to me !
I personaly would never mount a scope with that much power on a big game rifle, I think a 4.5X14 is as much as i would want even on lazer beem like that, But thats just me.
...tj3006

freedom1st

One of Us
Picture of Tyler Kemp
posted Hide Post
I am looking to put the scope on a 6mm AI I'm building. What could I sell just the gun and bases for?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a hard way to get a scope, if that's all you're looking for. Paying $850 for a 257 Eby with scope, then turning around and selling the rifle and bases keeping the scope seems like a tough way to get ahold of a scope.
YMMV
Why not just look for a used 6.5-20x 40mm Leupy? I saw one for sale yesterday on one of the forums.
If I was buying that rig, it would be to get ahold of the 257 Roy. That is a laser for sure.

Don

One of Us
Picture of bkluke10x
posted Hide Post
sounds like a good deal

Posts: 32 | Location: minnesota | Registered: 17 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tyler Kemp
posted Hide Post
I was hoping I could end up getting the scope real cheap, I figured it would be easy to sell just the gun and bases for $700ish? The guy said he "might" take $800 in cash, I'm assuming seeing the cash would seal the deal. That would be getting a $600 scope for $100 if I sold the gun for $700.

Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
I think you're vastly overestimating what you'll be able to get for the rifle, and likely not considering how easy it will be to sell it.

The 257W isn't the most popular round in the world, and the folks that like it are pretty paticular about how the rifle is setup. If it's built by a no name smith, folks will be hesitant to get it. The 257W is a way out there round, and unless the gun shoots bughole groups, is pretty useless.

You might find that you'll be getting to closer to $500 for the rifle, and may have to hang onto it for awhile before getting even that.

Unless you want a 257W to fiddle with and possible have a donor action for a future project, I'd say you won't be realizing any savings.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am guessing that is a Harold Broughton barrel. They were benchrest quality, he only offered one grade...good enough or not! IIRC, they only lasted five or six years, overestimated the demand for Benchrest Quality barrels.

Rich
DRSS

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i really don't think the setup is worth over 600. its probably a good enough rifle, but the 257w is well known as a barrel burner & you won't know until you shoot it some. then if you try to resell the rifle I believe without the scope it would be luck to get 400 for it

Posts: 13462 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A Remington Classic in 8x57 sold here recently. It had beautiful wood but was in an odd caliber. I seriously doubt that you can get that kind of money for it. Just buy the scope used as somone recommended. I have a Rem Classic in 6.5x55. I bought it new and did NOT pay what you think you can get. But, YMMV.
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10515 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
show him $750 in cash. if he doesnt take it simply walk away, dont argue, hell dont even speak.
sell the scope for $550.
cheaper than the one seen here.
then sell the rifle bases and rings for $650.
cheaper than the one seen here.
whatever you do make sure he throws in his brass.

Posts: 3986 | Location: in the tall grass "milling" around. | Registered: 09 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tyler Kemp
posted Hide Post
If I just offered for the scope what would be a good price? The outside shows seceral scratches, smudges, etc, but I recognize the Leupold warranty will replace anything internal that might be defective? Looking through the scope it was amazingly clear.