THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    Any .20 Vartarg shooters around?

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Any .20 Vartarg shooters around?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I just acquired a really nice looking .20 Vartarg built on a Sako L461 action. Have some 32 grain Nosler B.Tip bullets for a start. Anyone have any experiences to share using these or similar bullets of the same weight?

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ab_bentley
posted Hide Post
AA2200 will be your firend around 17grs will get you started, if you reform LC cases you'll see a major improvment in velocity and case life.

ADam

Ammo, you always need more.

Posts: 463 | Location: Dresden, Ohio | Registered: 09 January 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Stone: First it was a 17......now, a 20....yer done for.

It's time you joined the small caliber board. Put a lock on your wallet. though. BTW.....this thread needs some PICS!!! Kevin

Posts: 412 | Location: The Republic Of Texas, USA | Registered: 28 December 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Von Gruff
posted Hide Post
I built my 20 Var Targ a number of years ago on a Rem XR 100 and it is by far and away the most accurate rifle I have. I load the 35gn Berger to 3700fps with 19.2gn 4198 and get excellent accuracy from it. Longer range rabbits and a goat or two are right in to comfort zone of this outstanding little cartridge. Have developed a short range load with the 34gn SHOTS bullet over 9gn Blue Dot for 2700fps and is my most used load for under 200yd rabits.
Cases are simple to make from either the 221,222 and the 223, but I usually reserve the 221 cases for the fastest loads.

Von Gruff.

http://www.vongruffknives.com/

Gen 12: 1-3

Exodus 20:1-17

Acts 4:10-12

Posts: 2693 | Location: South Otago New Zealand. | Registered: 08 February 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kevin Gullette:
Stone: First it was a 17......now, a 20....yer done for.

It's time you joined the small caliber board. Put a lock on your wallet. though. BTW.....this thread needs some PICS!!! Kevin

Kevin: I've come to find that these little boogers can be tempremental if you don't do everything just right -- but they're a breeze compared to assembling a set of Conetrol scope rings Mad

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Stone: Just send me those ol' Conetrols....and I'll send you my Weavers, for your collection. Until then, here's a pic of my Cooper 20VT with customer supplied wood. A close friend of mine had it built, a few years ago. Notice the NICE Leupold 4.5-14X scope!Smiler Kevin

Posts: 412 | Location: The Republic Of Texas, USA | Registered: 28 December 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Try H4198 with 18.5 - 18.8 and a Remington 7 1/2 under a Sierra 32 for great accuracy and speed.

Posts: 87 | Location: VA | Registered: 27 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lets see, 20 Vartarg

First it was the 17’s, then the Tac 20.

Now my favorite of all the sub calibers is the 20 Vartarg.

I've been a small caliber junkie for years. Joined the VHA around '95 and have every copy of Small Caliber news. Had Virgin Valley make contender barrels in 17 ackley hornet and Tac 20 back around '98 or 2000.
I got my copy of Todd Kindler's "Terrific Twenties" when it first came out. I lusted after a Cooper Model 21 Varmint chambered in 20 Vartarg starting around 2000.
Here is my Cooper Model 21 in 20 Vartarg and some of the first groups shot groups at 100 yds. I tried three different load densities with each of the different powders. It was close, but here are some of the best groups of that session.

Test target @ 50 yds!

RL-7

TAC

H-4198

Lil Gun

Here are a couple more groups shot over a period of time……….

And where I ended up………..

I like the varmint style stock, but the Cooper Classic is my favorite with the Jackson Varmint second.

My 20 Tactical, Cooper Model 21 Classic.

I’m still thinking of doing a Riihimaki in the Vartarg. Just got distracted. I’m betting you’re going to love the Vartarg in the Sako almost as much as your Dueces.

Best

GWB

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great cartridge. I have a Sako A1 custom and a custom Rem XR 100 single shot chambered in 20 VT.
Both shoot Sierra 32 and Berger 30 HP very well with H 4198 and Rem 7.5 primers.
I used 221 FB brass to make the 20 VT brass.

NRA Patron member

Posts: 2649 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of f224
posted Hide Post
ChopperGuy has one built on a LH CZ action, nice little rifle.

Captain Dave Funk
Operator
www.BlaserPro.com

Posts: 841 | Location: Dallas, Iowa, USA | Registered: 05 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I took the Cooper Vartarg to the range today along with a couple other rifles. I had put a different scope on it and needed to zero. I loaded some 35 Gr. Bergers the other day on a whim.

Looks like that loads needs work.

its hard to beat

H-4198

or

Rl-7

with 32 gr Sierra Blitz's in the Vartarg.

Best

GWB

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote