Find
Notify
Tools

5.7x28 in a 10/22mag?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of BigNate
posted
I picked up some spent casings and couldn't help but think that a conversion for a 10/22mag would be great for this little cartridge. Obviously the rimfire bolt would need to be changed, but it seems to me it could be done.
Has anybody seen anything like this?

Posts: 2376 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: 27 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Maybe in a bolt gun, where you get some locking, but probably not in a straight blow back 22....

Even the 5Seven pistols are delayed blowback, aka all the rest of the upper end ( 9mm, 40, 357 Sig etc which operate in the mid 30k psi range) recoil operated calibers.

Posts: 1082 | Location: MidWest USA  | Registered: 27 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In a Ruger 10-22 22 WMR it would be not be a very good idea. The Ruger doesn't work very good with the 22 WMR. Magnum Resurch 22 WMR and 17 HMR have a port to get the gun to function properly.

Most 22 WMR use the bolt to lock the action closed, not locking lugs. I would be afraid of the bolt shearing off at the bolt handle at 5.7x28 pressures 50,000 PSI.

The 5.7x28 is a unique cartridge it has a coating on the brass so that it will function properly in auto and semi-auto firearms. It tends to get splits after only a couple reloadings, you should not tumble the brass only wash in Simple Green to clean.

Posts: 427 | Location: Lk. St.Clair | Registered: 11 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal30 1906
posted Hide Post
Absolutely not a good idea, Your first shot would split the reciever and destroy the action. Amoung other things coming apart.

Im assuming this is a standard alloy reciever that Ruger uses.
Cal30

If it cant be Grown it has to be Mined! Devoted member of Newmont mining company Underground Mine rescue team. Carlin East,Deep Star ,Leeville,Deep Post ,Chukar and now Exodus Where next? Pete Bajo to train newbies on long hole stoping and proper blasting techniques.
Back to Exodus mine again learning teaching and operating autonomous loaders in the underground. Bringing everyday life to most individuals 8' at a time!

Posts: 3078 | Location: Northern Nevada & Northern Idaho | Registered: 09 April 2005Reply With Quote