Find
Notify
Tools

.17 Remmington Options
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Johnny foreigner
posted
After having some seriously good results reloading for a friends .17 Rem, I have caught the bug.
Problem is that I really want a stainless/laminate or synthetic light rifle. The obvious choice is a Remmy 700 LVSS, but the blind box magazine seems a little dangerous as I would think you would have to cycle the bolt to remove each shell.

Are there any other manufactirers still doing rifles in .17 Rem.

DW

Posts: 156 | Location: UK Oxford | Registered: 12 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
CZ... Fun round. 17s are super cool

One of Us
Picture of zimbabwe
posted Hide Post
If you want to try a supercool 17 try the 17Mach2 rimfire. I have one of the Kimber Classic Varmints that I bought when they announced it. It is the most accurate rifle I have ever shot. Out of box the first 5 shot group at 50yds was exactly 1 Hole. I thought I had missed 4 times till I shot the second group.
I like .17's, my first one being a .17Bee over 50 years ago when only Sisk was making bullets then one of the H&R's before there was any factory ammo for it. Only thing I never liked was dribbling powder thru that SMALL neck. The last 700 I had was very accurate. Small report,small recoil, supreme accurracy. The last 700 had to be cleaned very frequently though.

SCI Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
DRSS

Posts: 2786 | Location: Green Valley,Az | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I believe Cooper still offers them. You don't have to chamber each round to unload a 700. Just pop each one up with the bolt and remove with your fingers....

Posts: 128 | Location: western PA | Registered: 02 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lots of .17 Remington information here;
www.coyotegods.com

One of Us
posted Hide Post
DW,
there are three on guntrader at the moment, one of which is a Rem BDL.
ive got 2 17 rem's, 1 tikka and 1 sako, not sure though if they are still available new.

or the other option would be to buy a shagged out .223 with a detachable mag or floor plate config, rebarrel with a SS barrel whack on a nice light lam stock of your choice and hey presto!
a 17 rem just the way you want it...

Posts: 358 | Location: Wiltshire, UK | Registered: 09 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by zimbabwe:
If you want to try a supercool 17 try the 17Mach2 rimfire. I have one of the Kimber Classic Varmints that I bought when they announced it. It is the most accurate rifle I have ever shot. Out of box the first 5 shot group at 50yds was exactly 1 Hole. I thought I had missed 4 times till I shot the second group.
I like .17's, my first one being a .17Bee over 50 years ago when only Sisk was making bullets then one of the H&R's before there was any factory ammo for it. Only thing I never liked was dribbling powder thru that SMALL neck. The last 700 I had was very accurate. Small report,small recoil, supreme accurracy. The last 700 had to be cleaned very frequently though.

I don't disagree with anything you said, but I can say I have a Rem 541-S Custom Sporter, 22 RF of course, and it will do everything your 17 RF will do and more, it's the most accurate 22 RF rifle I've ever owned.

My best friend bought a 17 Rem and I went with him to pick it up. The dealer has one and told him they aren't loud, that you can shoot it without earmuffs. Well like fools we shot it withoug muffs. Man oh man, one of the loudest cracks I've ever heard out of rifle. Don't forget it's not only the amount of powder and all the cartridge is burning, the velocity of the bullet splitting the air upon muzzle exit in addition to the gases escaping and doing the same, are what create the loud blast. The 17 Rem in our opinion is VERY loud for such a little caliber.

Other then that it's a neat round and lots of fun. I really don't see much of a use for it in a rimfire as nobody is going to convince me that it will do more then a 22 RF or 22 RF Mag can do.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Alex,
Thanks, I was particularly interested in the Tikka on GT, but got no response form the seller.

The 223 option sound like a pretty good idea. Is the bolt face and magazine config the same?

DW

One of Us
Picture of 6.5BR
posted Hide Post
FYI,

Rem is reportedly going to mfg a 17/221 soon so you might wait, less powder/blast and muzzle jump and high performance.

The neck is said to be longer than the Mach IV, so you may be forced to buy proper brass and not form cases.

Might be what you are looking for FWIW.

Posts: 2898 | Registered: 25 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by zimbabwe:
..over 50 years ago when only Sisk was making bullets ...
Not to argue with you at all, just curious if perhaps PO Ackley was making any back then? Did he buy his from Sisk?

Do you find Moly to help with your 17 Centerfires?

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
DW,
as far as i know the bolt face and mag config on a .223 is the same as a .17 REM. so you shouldnt have too much bother, if im not mistaken he .223 is the parent case.

i will keep my ear to the ground for a small action. would you go down the route of tikka? or have you any other preferences?

if you get something you need work on I know a good man who has re barrelled ten or so rifles that i have seen shoot, he seems to know whats what with accuracy.

Posts: 358 | Location: Wiltshire, UK | Registered: 09 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Alex.Y and DW-- The .223 IS NOT the parent case of the .17 Remington. The .222 Remington Magnum is the parent case of the .17 Remington caliber. However, YES, a .223 bolt face is what works with the .17 Remington cartridge.

Catch ya L8R

Posts: 192 | Location: Northwest North Dakota | Registered: 19 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of zimbabwe
posted Hide Post
Hot Core,
Don't remember getting any bullets from Ackley only Sisk. The .17Bee was an Ackley case but He had been gone from Trinidad a couple of years when I was there. Had some forming dies and made a few home made bullets but only factory ones I knew of then were Sisk. Lots of Ackley practices still in effect when I was there,some of his rifling machines were still in use. Good times then.

SCI Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
DRSS

Posts: 2786 | Location: Green Valley,Az | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of GoWyo
posted Hide Post
Howdy,

I've got a .17 rem. 700 VSS wearing a Leupold 6.5x20 that I've been trying to sell. Send me a PM if you're interested.

Gary

Damn right its loaded, it makes a lousy club. -JW

Posts: 403 | Location: Central Highlands of Wyoming | Registered: 02 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
GoWyo.
Thanks for the offer, but I'm after a light rifle rather than a heavier one.
Alex, to be fair, any action will do (within reason) but would prefer Remington, Sako, Tikka or Winchester. Only as I know these actions.
I'd be interested.

DW

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I bought a Contender in 17 Remington. Pain in the rear. Had to buy different cleaning rod, powder funnel, trimming pilot, etc. I have fat fingers and the bullets are hard to seat. Too dinky for me!!!!!!

Free men should not be subjected to permits, paperwork and taxation in order to carry any firearm. NRA Benefactor

Posts: 1652 | Location: Deer Park, Texas | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have avoided the .17 for those reasons, but reload for a local shooter anyway. I have the bits for reloading and cleaning.
I must admit, the number of times I have taken .17 size chunks of skin off my finger using the seating dies

DW