THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    Re: Lil' Gun , soot and the Hornet

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Lil' Gun , soot and the Hornet
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have not noticed that much soot in my CZ but then I'm loading them with as much powder as the little case holds and I've notice some hotter loads soot less. Not to say there is none but I do flush the barrel at the end of shooting with some Hoppes before putting the gun away. I finish cleaning at home so I could miss the soot buildup.

Posts: 338 | Location: Johnsburg, Illinois | Registered: 15 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Pete, what velocity are you getting for that loading of powder, primer, case and bullet?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Largely due to the commentary on this board, I picked Lil' Gun for my Hornet and haven't looked back. The combo of Hornady 35 Vmax's and Lil' Gun has been nothing short of fantastic in my rifle. Great accuracy coupled with low pressure and good velocity. (Actually accuracy with any bullet I've tried has been very good.)

HOWEVER, I have noticed that when I go to clean the barrel, soot is abundant. I sometimes think I'm running the rod up a diesel pickup's tailpipe. It doesn't seem to hurt anything but I just can't believe how much carbon I work out of the barrel after a day's shooting.

Until some other magic powder appears, I'll stick with the Lil' Gun though. Just wondering if anyone else has noticed this?

Thanks,
Tim

Posts: 149 | Location: Nebraska USA | Registered: 22 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I agree, Lil'Gun is pretty sooty. But, it outshoots anything else I've tried, and I've tried quite a few different powders trying to find accuracy in my Ruger 77/22VHZ.
Regards, George.