New
Find
Notify
Tools

H110 in 223 or 17??
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
is this powder to fast? where would you start?
thanks

Posts: 1362 | Location: Madison ,NH, usa | Registered: 10 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
H110 is generally considered a "magnum" pistol powder. I use it in 44 mag. I've also seen H110 load data for 357 mag, 41 mag, 444 Marlin, 30 carbine, and shotshells. All of these are straight-walled cases, I'm not sure how it would work in a bottle-neck case. I think H110 is way too fast for your application. http://www.hodgdon.com/products/index.htm

I currently use Reloader 15 in my 223 loads, but have also tried Varget, IMR4895 and AA2230.

Be careful!

Bill

Posts: 1169 | Location: USA | Registered: 23 January 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MAINER1234:
is this powder to fast? where would you start?
thanks

Too fast for the 223, ok in a 22 hornet, 22 jet or 218 bee.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
i was wondering because i bought this for my 300whisper then ended up selling it before i got a chance to use it with this powder..., the whisper has a powder capacity of about 20.0gr(approxx) and is designed for a short barrel 10-14inch... i would like to try this in my 14" 17 REM BARREL and 14" 223 barrel... with rifle powder the 14" 223 has a huge muzle flash because all of the powder isnt being burnt and i was wondering if a fast powder such as h110 would work and help to burn all of the powder in a short barrel..............

Posts: 1362 | Location: Madison ,NH, usa | Registered: 10 March 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
The problem with H110 is it has to be used at full loads, or it acts weird. There are some powders suitable for downloading, and low muzzle blast loads. There is even a website with some load info on the 223 using blue dot for 22 mag level loads.

Anyhow, H110 is a great powder for the niche it fills, but is not one I'd use outside of its niche, it has damaged firearms when downloaded in rounds designed for its use, so would hesitate to use it in a round not designed for its use.

Don't despair, this just means you need another barrel

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote