New
Find
Notify
Tools

75 gr V-MAX on whitetail
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Was wondering if anyone has used a 25 cal 75 gr V-MAX as a deer load. I was thinking of using some in my 25-06. I know that 117/120 gr would be a more recommended load, but I'm hunting 'smallish' Texas hill country deer that may rarely go more than 125 lbs soaking wet.
Is this bullet way too frangible even for this situation?
Thanks

Hollywood

Posts: 286 | Location: Capitol City TX | Registered: 06 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would think it would be too fragile. Heck, I'm
the one who was wondering about 90 grainers. Read some of that thread for their suggestions.

Bob257

Posts: 434 | Location: Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: 22 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hollywood-

I'd imagine that with a perfect broadside shot, you might have yourself a deer. However, V-max bullets are very explosive, and to my thinking, even a small rib could blow the bullet to bits and leave nothing but a messy flesh wound, especially at the velocity that a 25-06 would be pushing them to. Just MHO.

Regards- Gib

[ 10-24-2003, 18:55: Message edited by: Gib ]

Posts: 130 | Location: Fresno, CA - again | Registered: 13 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Having seen what will happen when the 75 gr VMAX meets a common stray cat, I can tell you it is NOT a deer bullet. Not by any means.
Now, there is a picture of a large whitetail harvested using the 90 gr Sierra HP, on page 291 of my Sierra manual, that is credited to a 2506. So, evidently that bullet can be used on deer sized game.

Coot

one of us
Picture of cummins cowboy
posted Hide Post
the Vmax is a varmit bullet made to explode on impact. I would highly recommend you try the new hornaday interbond, it has the advantages of the vmax and the advantages of a pertition type bullet actually in this case I think they say the bullet is bonded so the jacket will not seperate and are supposed to have 85-90% weight retention, they are also pretty darn accurate in my .270

Posts: 1755 | Location: slc Ut | Registered: 22 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I hunt Texas whitetails and have trouble getting a 100gr BT to even get to the far ribs on a broadside out of a 257 Roberts. I consider all Ballistic Tips and V-Max's as varmint bullets irregardless of weight.

Posts: 231 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 19 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jay Gorski
posted Hide Post
Yes, The 75VMax is a varmint bullet, very explosive, I would'nt say all Ballistic tips in any weight are varmint bullets, I've shot 3 Whitetail with 7mm08 and 1 with an 06, both 150grainers, all passed through the deer, in a recent Rifleshooter Magazine they test the 4 varmint bullets, 55gr. Starke, VMAXs, BTs, and Blitzkings(The latter 3 were 40grs.), and actually out of the "big" 3 manufacturers the BTs held together the best and were voted as the best all-around varmint bullet, there was almost nothing left of the VMAXs, biggest piece was like 1.3grs., the least of the bunch, Nosler was 13.3grs. and penetrated 6.3" in wet phonebooks, VM penetrated 2.65", So as far as my experiences go, I wouldn't say all Ballistic tips are varmint bullets, Jay

Posts: 1745 | Location: WI. | Registered: 19 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Those type of bullets work well on deer if downloaded and not hitting bone going in. The faster the bullet is driven, the more explosive it will be. However with other options available, I would consider them first.

I don't know if they make a 75 grain HP ( Hornady) in 25 caliber. I do know they do in 6mm, and I have used it one the blacktail deer in Oregon out of a 243. It performed very well. However, most of those deer are about the body size of a Doberman. You really don't need much to down them.

Posts: 2889 | Location: Southern OREGON | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Not on a bet. Do not even try it. It will barely break the hide. This bullet is designed to blow up at very low speed. There is a good chance it won't penetrate the rib cavity. The 75 is good for squirrels but forget it for deer.

Posts: 149 | Location: Oregon Coast | Registered: 26 December 2002Reply With Quote
<Mike Anderson>
posted
I would recommend that you do not try a vmax for deer or anything else other than a varmit , prairie dog sized preferably.

I have fired several hundred v-maxes in 223. They explode like nothing else I have tried. However they are not my choice for best accuracy. But they are somekinda explosive. A praire dog turns into a red spray.

I would try a sierra gameking boattail for the 7mm if deer was my target.

Mike

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hollywood,
I shoot a 257 imp. and I really like the 75gr. v-max...for prarie dogs. For smaller deer I think I would stick to the 100gr. Hornady SP. My rifle really like the 117gr. SST, but that may be a little more than you want to shoot. Hornady also makes an 87gr SP that may be worth a look.
Just my thoughts,
Elk Country

Posts: 180 | Location: Northern Colorado, USA | Registered: 26 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hollywood, I have shot a lot of bullets in the 25-06 and a lot of whitetails and varmints both using them(25-06). I would not recommend the 75VMax on whitetails! I know "shot placement, shot placement...."! If I did have the chance to use a 75VMax I would opt for a neck shot. A behind the shoulder shot with one probably would not be the desired outcome! However, I would not hesitate to use the 85 grain BT on a whitetail! I beleive you would get enough penetration to matter! BUT, You will be hard pressed to find a bullet that will perform better on whitetails than the 117 grain Sierra SpBT. Just my opinion! GHD

Posts: 2495 | Location: SW. VA | Registered: 29 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of CLL
posted Hide Post
A couple years ago I filled my tags with a 6mm Rem. , shooting 75grn Hornady HP's. Two shots two deer . No runaways they both stayed put . Let me say this gun is very accurate , and distances were under 100 yards . I would say buy a box to load , try them out on varmints, then decide about use on deer.

Posts: 200 | Location: CA,U.S.A. | Registered: 14 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Not only 'No', but "F--- NO!". They are Varmint bullets and start to come undone when they hit cardboard target backer.

Posts: 9647 | Location: Yankeetown, FL | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of boilerroom
posted Hide Post
With the 75gr V-max you get good penatration and perfect expansion... on maybe an empty cardboard box! [Roll Eyes]

I shoot alot of them out of my 25/06 but would never consider using them even on the smallest of deer.

Why don't you try using a 100gr bullet designed for game? Interlocs are around the same price as the V-max and they come in counts of 100.

Just because I can get groups under .5" with the 75 V-max does not mean I'd overlook a bullet designed for deer that gets me 1.5" groups.

We're talking deer not bumblebees! [Big Grin]

Posts: 4326 | Location: Under the North Star! | Registered: 25 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hollywood--for what it is worth--I've been around such a bullet when used on lopes and deer.

Contrary to popular opinion it will not blow up on the hide--it is however quite soft and quite explosive.

My wife shot a lope with the 75 V-Max at 3600 out of her 6/06 the other day. A 100 yard broadside shot to the heart--the heart exploded (note not the bullet on the hide) the lope ran about 15 yards and kicked over. The bullet did not exit-but it did kill just fine.

For what it is worth there are a lot of bullets out there and most all would be better choices.

Here are a couple of my first picks.

90 Sierra
100 Hornady (perhaps my favorite for a 25)
100 Nozler Bt
100 Sierra MK

Just my thoughts Hollywood-hope it all works out for you.

"GET TO THE HILL"

Dogz

Posts: 879 | Location: Bozeman,Montana USA | Registered: 31 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bullshooter
posted Hide Post
my only experience with v-max bullets is in 223 50gr. hit a badger just under the chin at 150 yards. bullet exploded on impact, no exit. wouldnt even consider using a v-max on deer.

Posts: 162 | Location: puyallup wa. | Registered: 24 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hollywood-I've used the 75V-max in a 25-20 contender 11" barrel at about 1900fps(hot load)on 4 deer, one neck shot at about 40 yards, full penitration 1 to 1 1/2 inch exit wound, it dropped on the spot. Two broadside chest lung shots,one at 30 yards and the other at 50 yards, same size exit wounds, one went about 35 yards and the other one went about 45 to 50 yards before falling. The fourth one was shot in the spine at about 60 to 70 yards and of course it dropped on the spot. At the right velocity these bullets perform well. I shoot the 85 grain Sierra HP in my 12" 256mag at 2500fps but havent shot any game with them so can't comment on their performance.
Albert

Posts: 98 | Location: Kenova WV | Registered: 24 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It will work just fine on broadside shots, keep it off the shoulder and you will get a lot of instant kills...YOu are limited to broadside shots only, not a good deal IMO....better a 120 gr. Nosler and take any shot thats offered...

Posts: 42171 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DannoBoone
posted Hide Post
Hollywood, if ya want to use a 75gr bullet, get a
box of Hornady's 75gr HP's. They not only work
great in the lung area of deer, they are almost
as explosive as any ballistic tip on varmints.
I used them for both back before anyone had ever
dreamed of a VMax or any other ballistic tip bullet.

Posts: 565 | Location: Walker, IA, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With Quote