Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

ruger 77R 6.5x55
 Login/Join

posted
I have the opportunity to purchase one of these. It has 22" barrel/1-8 twist. Just wondering if anyone has info on this rifle in this caliber.

Thanks,
Regards,

one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
I originally held off on replying because I don't have direct experience with this rifle. However, since nobody's jumped in, I shall. I have a Sako L691 in 6.5X55 that I love. It's a grand old cartridge that's a pure joy to shoot and hunt with. It's accurate, the recoil and muzzle blast is mild, and it's effective beyond its apparent paper ballistics. With the relatively slow twist of the rifle you mention, you should get great results with the relatively heavy bullets (140 grain plus) that make this cartridge shine on bigger animals than it should. Scandinavian hunters have been using this cartridge for more than a century on game up to moose, so it's effectiveness shouldn't be doubted too seriously.

As to the Ruger, I understand they're a crapshoot. I've got two - a .243 and a .257 Roberts - both of which are fine rifles. I've heard that the 6.5X55 models often have a very long throat, but so does my Sako. I think you'd be pleasantly surprised with the rifle and the cartridge.

You'll never know if you don't try... Wink

Posts: 3301 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I had a Ruger 6.5x55, and didn't care for it. It was extremely accurate, but rough feeling and subject to mysterious maladies. A search will find some of my longer comments, if you wish.

I still like the 6.5x55, though, and after selling the Ruger, bought a Winchester M70, which I still have. It's ideal for my needs - deer hunting, target shooting, at little varminting, and I'd have no hesitation taking it west for elk.

Jaywalker

Posts: 1006 | Location: Texas | Registered: 30 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 348srfun
posted Hide Post
I have answered a similar question in the medium bore forum and will try to be brief because of that. The caliber is a great choice for most medium size game. Some would strech it and take elk or caribou but I tend to like larger holes in larger animals. The Ruger rifle is a great rifle for the money. I have owned several and they all shot well and functioned as expected. I have never been satisfied with a factory rifle and have added better triggers and stocks and have generally spent less on Rugers than on many other rifles to get them up to snuff. My son has taken the 6.5X55 from me so I had a Model 1 rebarreled to that caliber. I haven't seen a 6.5X55 yet that shot bad.

Charlie
Measure twice, cut once

Posts: 25 | Location: S E Georgia | Registered: 11 February 2006Reply With Quote