Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: 25 06 vs 257 roberts
 Login/Join

posted
You can have it both ways. Build it as a Roberts then rechamber if the choice turns out to be unhappy. Roberts does work well in Mauser actions. My first factory Roberts was an FN sporter. Learned that there was a lot of negative bull in print about the cartridge from that rifle. Roberts is a reloading proposition based on mild nature of most factory loads.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have debated for a long time and decided the .257 was just too much like my .243. I reload and I can load the 25/06 to .257 if I wish too. I'm getting a Kostyshyn barrel with a 1-9.5 twist to for sure stabilize the longer bullets. I would like to try the 130 grainers Fiftydriver talks about. I've tried to find them on the Web but no luck. On a FN action the 25/06 just fits better for me. After getting smacked by the 30/06 for 25 years I'm either getting smart or wimpy....not sure which! My whitetail load will be 100 gr Partition at whatever I can get it to shoot well at. For long range yotes I'll try a 115 Nosler BT or maybe a Berger VLD. I might even spring for a new stock, any rifle that has given such great service for so long deserves to "go out with a bang" and when I get the new 25/06 barrel on it thats exactly what I intend to do with it. FNMauser

Posts: 170 | Location: Kentucky U.S.A. " The land that is dark with blood" | Registered: 31 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't think you can go wrong with a 25-06....great round and I really loved the 100 grain bullet for everything from cotton tail rabbits to Elk. Real quick and flat.

On my prior 25-06, my best loads were always with the IMR 4350 powder and CCI Benchrest primers. I always file/trimmed my brass and shot the same brand of brass. If the brass started breaking down from being loaded too many times, I'd replace it all and away we would go again.

My gun had a 1-10 twist and absolutely loved the Sierra 100 grain flat base...would not shoot a boattail anywhere near as well.

ALSO I SHOOT FREE-FLOATED BARREL. For repeatitive shooting, I would not be in favor of a non-floated barrel. I realize many people have glass bedded their barrels with good luck but I have had just as good of luck with free floating at a cost of about $1 per job...the cost of a couple sheets of sandpaper.

At any rate, I wish ya luck with the 25-06. I know it is a very good and potent cartridge that will drop-em-dead in their tracks.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Had A 257 Roberts which I rechambered to a 25-284 - equal to a 25-06 in performance. I could handload a 257 100 gr to 3200 fps - in a 25-284 I can exceed 3300 fps. In the 257 2900 fps possible with 120 gr - in 25-284 I hit 3050 fps. The Roberts is underloaded by most factory loads - but no reason it can't be loaded to 50,000 cup - in most any modern rifle.

Posts: 363 | Location: Madison Alabama | Registered: 31 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of vapodog
posted Hide Post
22" barrel....1 in 10 twist. flip a coin on the cartridge.....I have both and can find no difference in shooting deer or varmints.

Posts: 28849 | Location: western Nebraska | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote