THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    German made weatherby in 22 250

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

German made weatherby in 22 250
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hello gang

A bud of mine has just stumbled on what seems to be a rare find. A varmintmaster in 22-250, which as I'm reading is the first non weatherby cartridge ever introduced to the German made Mark 5 rifles. Any of you fellows know anything about these rifles? Thanks FS

Posts: 698 | Location: Edmonton Alberta | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of igorrock
posted Hide Post
These rifles has been made in J.P Sauer´s factory in West Germany. The production stayed there untill early 1970s.

Posts: 410 | Location: Finland | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My dad bought one about 10 seconds after they were announced, and installed the new Redfield 4-12X (at that time the hot setup) on 2-piece JR mounts. He still has it. I shot my first few whitetails with it in ME, along with small stuff in CT. Fairly light, reasonably accurate. A very neat walking rifle.

I wished they had made them in .250 Savage, even a .243 would have been nice. The V-master was available both in belted .224 WBY and .22-250. I vaguely remember the .224 chambering came first - but not by much. .224s did not sell very well.....kinda wish I had one of them, too.

Sam

Posts: 670 | Location: Dover-Foxcroft, ME | Registered: 25 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My spouse gave me one for my birthday some 20 years ago. It is for all purposes brand new as I still have some 5 rounds of the original box purchased with the rifle.

Mine wears the original Leupold scope also but I did change the rings & mounts to Conetrol? - nice rifles, not likely this one ever leave the family "voluntarily".

--- John

posted Hide Post
I have one of these. Was not made in Germsny. Has a #2 26" barrel, hand honed action, Canjar single set trigger, 3X9 Weatherby scope. I ordered from the Custom shop in 1973. Cost $675.00. Excellent rifle.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fasteel:
Hello gang

A bud of mine has just stumbled on what seems to be a rare find. A varmintmaster in 22-250, which as I'm reading is the first non weatherby cartridge ever introduced to the German made Mark 5 rifles. Any of you fellows know anything about these rifles? Thanks FS

I think that the .30-06 (on the full-sized Mark V action) pre-dated the .22-250 on the Varmintmaster Mark-V action. Regardless, the .22-250 built by Sauer is in all likelihood a very fine rifle. The smaller action varies from the larger in having two rows of three lugs rather than three rows of three lugs, and of course is somewhat shorter, smaller in diameter, and lighter. The .224 WBY and .240 WBY are the only other cartridges to my knowledge which were offered on this action.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote