Find
Notify
Tools

!7 Hornet
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Has anybody used this little guy ?
seems like it would be a fun inexpensive round to shoot and reload.
Likely I would use it for targets , but I would shoot a coyote or most any varmint with it..
What rifle is not real expensive and still shoots strait...tj

Posts: 605 | Location: OR | Registered: 28 March 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had a cooper 17ackley hornet.
Sold it though as my prairie dog hunting opportunities were going away.
Its a fun cartridge that worked well on PDs. It killed them but on the bigger PDs there was not much re mist, just a nickel size hole on the exit side.
Forming cases can be a little tricky. I lost maybe 10% in that operation.
In my view it is too light for coyotes in all but perfect situations, broad side, 150 yds or less, good bullet and perfect bullet placement.

NRA Patron member

Posts: 2649 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a CZ 527 Varmint model in 17 Hornady Hornet. Great little cartridge for gophers or PDs. Very accurate and easy to reload, many are getting groups under 1/2 inch consistently. Ammo a bit hard to find, but I guess most ammo is scarce.
I love mine.
Larry

Posts: 378 | Location: Atlanta.GA | Registered: 07 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had one of the Kimber 17 Ackley Hornets.
I shot a pile of crows, woodchucks, pidgeons and a few coyotes with it. It wasn't a spectacular killer of coyotes, but kept under 150 yds, they never went more then 30 yds after a bullet through the lungs.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
costs about half to load than what a 17HMR does if you use varmint nightmare bullets

Posts: 13462 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have two .17 Ackley Hornet barrels for my Thompson Center TCR rifles. Both shot 20-gr Hornaday bullets at 3,650 fps and 15-gr Berger Hp's at 3,900 fps, are accurate and don't foul barrels. I understand barrels in this caliber last 15,000 rounds whereas the barrels on my .17 Remington only lasted less than 1,000 rounds. My experience also shows it to be OK on coyotes to 150 yards (and fox to 200 yards). Mine will never be for sale, at least in my lifetime.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Another thing - I think the 20-gr Hornaday V-Max made the .17 Hornet usable. It is light enough for good muzzle velocity, expands at a relatively low velocity and has a relatively high BC for good performance to at least 200 yards. With that bullet the .17 Hornet can be zeroed 1-inch high at 100 yards and be less than 1-inch low at 200. From reports I've read before the advent of the 20-grain V-Max one had to use bullets made for the .17 Remington and they did not expand much at over 100 yards when fired from a .17 Hornet. I also use 15-grain Berger HP's (discontinued) which have a very low BC and run out of thump at 125 yards or so. However, they are good for squirrels and other targets up in the trees as my ballistics program shows that in case of a miss those bullets land with way less impact than bullets fired from a .22 rimfire.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Years ago I saw a guys web that did a vast amount of coyote hunting. He was HUGE as in only for using .17 cal on coyotes because of the minimal pelt damage. No experience on the matter, just my thoughts, I much prefer .20 cal over .17 or .22 in air rifles. For that reason I'd go .204 Ruger.

Posts: 3811 | Location: san angelo tx | Registered: 18 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had a .20 caliber Sheridan air rifle. With its heavy pellets, it beat the competitions' .177 and .22 rifles for long range thump. A couple years ago I went to a small bore shoot (only .17 and .20 caliber rifles). We shot out to 600 yards and my .17 Hornet did not even kick up dust for my spotter to locate misses whereas a guy with a .20 caliber wildcat kept his shots in the vital area of a coyote in a wind. There would be no comparison if long shots at coyotes are much of a consideration.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Iowadon--Thanks for that report.

Posts: 3811 | Location: san angelo tx | Registered: 18 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My experience with the .17 Hornet goes back about 35 years. I was using a Low Wall Winchester rebarrelled in that caliber.

Once, on a ground hog hunt, I made a shot from about 125 yards and walked over to look at the result. The ground hog was dead as a hammer, but with no visible mark on him anywhere. After puzzling over this phenomenon for a while, my hunting companion noticed that one of the ground hog's front teeth had been broken in half.

Closer examination revealed that the ground hog, which had been standing upright facing me when I fired the shot, had been hit in his open mouth, reducing his skull contents to soup, but leaving no exit wound. I was using a 25 grain Sisk bullet, as best as I can recall.

The rifle, which I still own, has proven to be a deadly killer, generating a low level of noise, and important factor in ever more densely populated rural areas.

One of Us
Picture of CoyoteKiller82
posted Hide Post
My good friend and hunting partner bought a savage in 17 hornet early last spring. We had a blast shooting beaver after breakup and it worked wonders on them with a solid head shot!

A super accurate cartridge with factory loads too. Sight in was amazingly easy with bullets stacking one upon the other!

Posts: 504 | Location: Manitoba, Canada | Registered: 03 December 2007Reply With Quote