THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    Thoughts on making 17 Hornet brass

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Thoughts on making 17 Hornet brass
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Cliff Lyle
posted
I have a couple of hundred once fired 22 Hornet brass and a 17 Hornet Encore barrel on the way from MGM. For anyone who has worked with Hornet brass, what would be your recommendations on necking it down to 17 and loading 17 Hornet ammo?

Posts: 2155 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 03 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
you'll need one form die, or loose alot of brass

Posts: 13462 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cliff Lyle
posted Hide Post
Thanks Butch. Are you referring to a 17H form die?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
mineis a 17 ackley hornet. there was only one form die which took the brass down half way then the sizing die took the rest. but without it that hornet brass is so damn thin that it crumpled most of the cases i tried. Then you have to fireform of course. probably a hellovalot easier just to use hornadys 17 hornet

Posts: 13462 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cliff Lyle
posted Hide Post
I have found some ammo and will not use the 22 hornet brass for conversion. Thanks for the insight.