New
Find
Notify
Tools

338 WSM?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Anyone here play around with this one yet? I was personally intrested to see how it would compare with a .338-06, and how well it could be used in a short action.
So anyone got any velocities they can share?

Posts: 593 | Location: My computer. | Registered: 28 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dan,

I did one on a Rem 700 SF Sendaro that started as a 7mm Rem Mag.

Took the barrel off, twisted on a Pac-Nor Hunter Bench Profile, reamed to 338 WSM, and started shooting.

Had to do soem smooting to the boltface, and we altered the feeder rails too much!!!!!!! Also, the magazine only holds 2 rounds (strange).

Anyway, it's headed to CT to get the feeder rails & the magazine fixed.

As for loads, I've tried a few, but haven't chronoed them. The gun is sub MOA with various charges of H414, H380, W760, & H4831SC.

The most accurate is 67.8gr of H4831SC, Win Brass, Fed 215 Primer, 180gr Ballistic Tip.

Again, I haven't chronoed but I'm guessing 3000+.

Regards,

Mark

Posts: 396 | Location: North East Pennsylvania | Registered: 14 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bob338
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I built one back in September on a M70 SS Classic short action. A long series on the load development for bullets from 185 Barnes to the 225's, was posted on HuntAmerica. Depending on propellant, the 225's had velocity in the 2780 to 2850 range with superb accuracy. Most of the loads were short of 338 Win Mag velocity by near 100 fps, which was expected because of the smaller capacity in the case. If you go to HuntAmerica and do a "Search" for 338 WSM, there were two threads covering it all with chronographed velocitiy for all the bullets tried. The rifle took a bull elk in Wyoming in early December that scored 369, using Nosler 225's. Winchester will probably address introduction of the caliber as a factory round some time after they sort out and ship the 7mm WSM. RCBS is now stocking dies for it.

Posts: 1261 | Location: Placerville, CA, US of A | Registered: 07 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Great, thanks for the info guys. I think my next project has found it's caliber.

Posts: 593 | Location: My computer. | Registered: 28 November 2001Reply With Quote
<Matt77>
posted
PA wild, you can get a chrony from shooting chrony for 50 bucks, it's a re-furbished one, but it does the job. If you went through all that trouble to build one, and the whole claim to the wsm fame is velocity, I think you should spend the $$ and get a chrony. Velocity is directly proportional to pressure...