THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    What is up with the Small Bore Room

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What is up with the Small Bore Room
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Isn't anyone loading anything smaller than 30 caliber right now? Am I the only guy loading 22 center fire and 243 calibers?

Inquiring minds want to know?

Cheers and good shooting
seafire
PS Roger B, right you are!!!!!

Posts: 2889 | Location: Southern OREGON | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Seafire,

I'm still playing with the .22 Hornet and plan to start on 6mm and .243 shortly.

CCI 400, Rem brass, 40 gr V-Max, 13.5 gr Lil'Gun, 1.91" OAL gave me a .44" group the other day at 100 yards out of a NEF Handi rifle. That's not too bad for a $140 used gun.

Posts: 151 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 November 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well pardon me!! But I am too busy trying to avoid the attention of our elected dick-tators in Ottawa to want to draw attention to our family! derf

Posts: 3450 | Location: Aldergrove,BC,Canada | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Quarter Round
posted Hide Post
We are still out here.

one of us
Picture of RareBear
posted Hide Post
Stay low. Until it is time to vote...

Posts: 166 | Location: Cardington, Ohio, USA, 3rd rock from the sun, Milkyway Galaxy | Registered: 01 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I am currently loading 223, 22 Hornet and 25-20 among others.
Pete

Posts: 403 | Location: Emeryville, CA | Registered: 24 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It's been too hot to do much shooting. 100*-105* here in Lewiston this last week. Have had a large set of cabinets to build-almost $2800 in cherry lumber in the raised-panel doors alone. What really hurts is the new CZ Hornet sitting there for almost 2 weeks. Havn't even had time to mount the scope and adjust the trigger.
I'll have the cabinets installed by the end of this comming week and then try the hornet. Pedro

Posts: 382 | Location: Lewiston, Idaho--USA | Registered: 11 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Derf,

I can relate buddy! You protect your ass up there from those Idiots in Ottawa.

Cheers, good shooting and have a great summer, eh?
seafire

Posts: 2889 | Location: Southern OREGON | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Since the Soybeans are now tall enough for the woodchucks to hide in I am starting to spend a bit more time here.
We had a good season at farmers expense. It was dry enough that the beans did not grow much for 3 weeks waiting for a rain.

Posts: 906 | Location: NW OH | Registered: 19 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
On my last trip to the range I shot a 243, Swift, 7mm-08, 260 and a 300 WM. Hunting now is for varmints and I am shooting the Swift and 243.

I have not figured out why there is so much interest in medium bores. I don't even read the big bore forum unless an interesting topic shows up in the current list.

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fritz Kraut
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Isn't anyone loading anything smaller than 30 caliber right now? Am I the only guy loading 22 center fire and 243 calibers?

Don�t worry: you�re not alone. I load for .22 Hornet, .222 Remington and 6.5x57R. My buddy loads the .222 Remington.

Fritz

Posts: 846 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 19 April 2001Reply With Quote

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
I've spent the morning trying to get the resizing die I'm building for my tactical 20 to work. Never had a wildcat before, never made a resizing die before, never fireformed brass before (well never before this gun anyway) , so I'm learning a lot here with this project!

Oh Seafire, just because of you I've purchased a can of blue dot! After I get some of the high powered stuff loaded I want to play with that, If I can get a late night varmint load out of it I'll be very satisfied! Anyway, thanks for all the work you've done with that powder, I wouldn't have gotten it most likely if you hadn't posted your results with it.

Posts: 7774 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted Hide Post
Well if .277 is still smaller than .308 I'm loading something less than .30. Actuall I've been working old loads in the .22 Hornet and .223, some new ones in 243 AI, and nearly broke out the 6 Rem just to get the dust out, and haven't decided if I want to finish off what remains of rifling in the 6/284 or 6.5/284 and I really want to give the '06 AI a work out, but rimfire has been consuming much of my time, both standard and "magnum" loadngs. When it gets dark out I spend an inordinate amount of time working on the Ruger 1B in .270, working the kinks out and trying to achieve a consistant bedding and sealing the wood. As well as the inordinate amount of time spent polishing the little itty bitty parts till they shine brigeht and move without a gravely feel. Then since I am something of an insominiac as well there is always the residual time spent here learning from my and others mistakes.

Posts: 3611 | Location: LV NV | Registered: 22 October 2002Reply With Quote
<9.3x62>
posted
MOST of my loading if for 243-264. Currently I'm working with a 6mm BR, 6mm-3000, 250-3000, 257 Roberts, 6.5x55, and 6.5x57. I'm looking to include, once again, a 260 in the near future. There always room for more...

one of us
posted Hide Post
I am finishing up some loads for a 17AH right now. I have not been to the range. I did some recent testing with my 22mag. I am selling my last 30 Cal leaving the biggest bore in the cabinet a 284.

one of us
posted Hide Post
It's winter South of the Equator and that means Sambar deer time. The 375H&H and 45/70 are the guns being carried and practiced with, the 458Lott is getting set up and sighted in and there's an 8mm Remington Magnum about that may be about to join the family. Small bores are for Summer fun and lazy days with short sleeved shirts
Cheers...
Con

Posts: 2198 | Location: Australia | Registered: 24 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Con,

Hey Mate, you sure ya got enough gun for those Aussie Deer?

Must be tough buggers down Under? LoL

Cheers and Good Shooting Mate!
seafire

posted Hide Post
Seafire

I'm still working with b-dot in .223 and .243 trying to arrive at the most accurate loads. My crony doesn&#8217;t record the loads as fast as yours does but I know all rifles are individuals. I am not interested in high velocity with these loads however. It has been very windy and HOT afternoon and the final input in the accuracy equation is the shooter (ME). The last loads were with 40 gr Nosler B.T. 10grs. Averaged 2500 fps 11grs. Averaged 2640 fps and 12grs. Averaged 2800 fps. CCI 400 primers, WCC brass, I am going to try 50 grs Noslers next and then some different bullets and primers. Another thing this is a lot more fun than the big bore stuff and I get a lot questions at the range.

Posts: 6 | Location: oregon,jackson | Registered: 28 March 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mac:

Is that Jackson County you live in?

I am located in Josephine County. Send me an email and I can check out what you are doing on your blue dot loads.

You didn't mention what type of firearm you are using.

Welcome on board.

Cheers and Good shooting
seafire

one of us
posted Hide Post
seafire/B17G,

Hey amigo. A recent post has got me all fired up! Since I am 60+ years of age....getting me fired up is a bit of a task! This post was on another forum (sorry about that)a fellow that is a bit of an experimenter and likes the 6.5 bore as we do....here it is. 6.5x250 Savage Ackley Improved on a C. Daly Mini-Mauser action! Think 22" lite-weight barrel (.550 at muzzle), nice AA walnut classic with schnabel foreend............see where I am going. 6X scope of some type...whitetail, antelope, mule deer(if I can get Nosler 125gr Partition to fit)....YES! "there is joy in Who-ville tonight!!!" Sorry, I am just getting carried away with the possiblilities that gives me a smile!

Ol' John.... ..

Posts: 111 | Location: Hondo, Texas 78861 | Registered: 16 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RareBear
posted Hide Post
Currently load for .50 smokepole(duzat one count?), .22-250 Rem, .223 Rem, .17 Rem.

Have been studying .14-221 Walker Fireball.

Good grief. I seem to be downsizing here.

Posts: 166 | Location: Cardington, Ohio, USA, 3rd rock from the sun, Milkyway Galaxy | Registered: 01 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hondo J!:

That sounds like a sweet little ' babe':

Is this just a dream or ya building one?

Gotta know that one's answer.

Keep us/me posted on the progress of that little sweetheart.

Cheers
seafire

one of us
posted Hide Post
Im just busy with work.

Posts: 492 | Location: Northern California | Registered: 27 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
Patience grasshopper, I just got my .260AI back from my smith. I'll be posting results when I get a chance to shoot in a few weeks (it's Kalif. you know). I have to squeeze shooting time between my .338-06 & .404jeffere!?!?

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Seafire,

UPS is scheduled to deliver a package tomorrow which contains a new CD mini-mauser action in the white that has a bolt face for the 22-250....the dream ends and actuality begins.......now to decide on a barrel manufacturer so this might take a while...but you have to start somewhere.

Ol' John

Posts: 111 | Location: Hondo, Texas 78861 | Registered: 16 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
John, based on the fact it is down the highway, I have to cheer for the home team here in Oregon.

I have had such good luck out of PacNor and they actually have offered me better twist rate selection than a lot of other places ever did.

I think their prices are reasonable also.

When you are done, I may be wanting to build one of these little jewels myself.

That 6.8 SPC case looks awfully interesting to me also, but in a 6.5 caliber instead.

Cheers and Good smithing, lol
seafire

one of us
posted Hide Post
I load my .243, my 6/.284, and lots of ammo for my beloved 6.5x55's if that counts. Been years since I shot a .30 of any sort and never go above 8mm.

Eric

Posts: 38 | Location: Lake Tahoe, NV | Registered: 29 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
EX, never say never. The .338 in just about any flavor is a truly versatile big game caliber.

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
6.8 SPC case interesting? Why now after 100 years or at least 75? If you must get yourself a 6.5 X54. Than at least I won't suspect your pulse rate of affecting the oxygen supply to the madula abligato or whatever. See, the small boreing room is picking up already. roger

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Roge;

I'd love a 6.5 x 54 any day of the week guy. Like you, if it is over 75 yrs old in design that is a selling feature for me regardless of what it is.

Cheers
seafire

one of us
posted Hide Post
I've been doing a lot of work with one of my .223 AI in an old rifle ( model 7 SS) with a new barrel and stock. Sure like the way it shoots and the velocity with Hogdon Benchmark is an EYE OPENER !

Posts: 142 | Location: Jaccksonville, N. C. | Registered: 10 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

BRNO .22 Hornet
BRNO .243
CZ 6.5X55 Swede

That cover me from rabbits up to big hard to kill Sika stags

John

Posts: 275 | Location: Scotland | Registered: 18 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Currently loading .223, .22-250, .25-20WCF, .250-3000, .257 Roberts, and .270 Win. Still have Hornet dies, but nothing to use them on. Might be another project?! Only thing .30 or above is the old 30-30

Posts: 339 | Location: SE Kansas | Registered: 05 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well gents,
After an afternoon at the range shooting quite a few MOA , 3 shot groups with the CZ 458Lott , I think I'm ready to come back to the small bores for a few weeks...
Cheers...
Con

Posts: 2198 | Location: Australia | Registered: 24 August 2001Reply With Quote